Re: [PrimeNumbers] Update

  • Ben Bradley
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2001
      At 12:39 AM 2/5/01 +0100, znz@... wrote:

      >The largest known ordinary prime is 4^7057-3 (4249 digits), proved

      I'd like to see a definition for 'ordinary prime'.
      I can guess from having been on this list that it's ordinary in
      that it take a general-number-primality-proving algorithm to prove
      it rather than an algorithm that only works for special forms but is
      much faster.

      >prime by Preda Mihailescu in March 1999 using cyclotomy primality
      >proving.
      >
      >See at
      >http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/records/primes.html
      >
      >Marcel Martin

      -----
      This post (except quoted portions) Copyright 2001, Ben Bradley.
      http://listen.to/benbradley
    • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2001
        Marcel Martin wrote:

        > The largest known ordinary prime is 4^7057-3 (4249 digits), proved
        > prime by Preda Mihailescu in March 1999 using cyclotomy primality
        > proving.

        By me, it is *far* from ordinary. Chris Nash and Preda
        sweated blood to get this within 6% of BLS before
        using CycloProv:

        http://listserv.nodak.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9903&L=nmbrthry&P=R639