Elliptic Curves Are Curves of Constant Influence - Doctorow

  • Osher Doctorow
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2001
      From: Osher Doctorow, Ph.D. osher@..., Sunday Feb. 4, 2001 6:35AM

      I have been developing the theory of proximity functions p1(x,y) = 1 + y - x
      and its n-dimensional generalization pn(x1, x2, ..., xn; y) = 1 + y - Sn/n
      where Sn = x1 + x2 + ... + xn and 0 < = y < = xi < = 1 for i = 1, 2, ..., n.
      See geometry-research@... for more details, although I will
      mention that p1 and pn change distance-functions or metrics of usual type on
      [0, infinity) to partial inverses on [0, 1] and are maximum where, e.g.,
      Euclidean distance-function is minimum and vice versa, subject to the
      constraints 0 < = y < = xi < = 1. They satisfy the triangle inequality,
      nonnegativity (in fact, they are between 0 and 1), and "reflexivity by
      default" since the only pair for which (x,y) and (y,x) both exist subject to
      the constraints is (0,0). Those familiar with my earlier contributions to
      primenumbers or primes-L will recognize in p1 the probable influence
      P(A-->B) = 1 + P(AB) - P(A) for y = P(AB) and x = P(A), and of course from
      elementary probability and set theory it follows that 0 < = P(AB) < = P(A) <
      = 1 where AB is the intersection of A and B and P(A) is the probability of
      A. I will only discuss p1 in what follows.

      For the elliptic curve y^2 + c1xy + c2y = x^3 + c3x^2 + c4x + c5 where ci
      for i = 1 to 5 are real numbers, the left hand side is a polynomial in y up
      to symmetric terms in x and y (namely c1xy), which will be denoted by F(y),
      and the right hand side is a polynomial in x which will be denoted by G(x).
      Define a new ordering for arbitrary polynomials Si with real coefficients
      up to symmetric terms in x and y by Si > = Sj iff Si and Sj are monic with
      Si having degree at least as great as the degree of Sj up to symmetric terms
      in x and y, although > would be a slightly better notation since = is
      usually reserved for the usual equality. For the elliptic curve, certainly
      F(x) < = G(y), and we can add 1 to both sides of the elliptic curve equation
      above and then incorporate the left-hand side 1 into F which now has an
      additional constant term 1 which new polynomial will still be written F, so
      that now we have F(y) = G(x) + 1 or 1 + G(x) = F(y) where = is used in its
      ordinary sense. Since the indeterminate symbols are arbitrary, writing 1 +
      G(y) - F(x) = 0 yields the form 1 + y - x = 0 for y replaced by G(y) and x
      replaced by F(x). Thus, the elliptic curve is a curve of 0 generalized
      influence, and since a constant was incorporated into F, it is correct to
      say that the elliptic curve is a curve of in general constant influence.
      Elliptic curves can be regarded as number theory analogues of geodesics in
      view of this result (in the sense of constant parallel displacement).

      Osher Doctorow
      Doctorow Consultants, West Los Angeles College, Ventura College, etc.
    • mikeoakes2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2001
        In a message dated 04/02/2001 15:13:53 GMT Standard Time, osher@...
        writes:
        > From: Osher Doctorow, Ph.D. osher@..., Sunday Feb. 4, 2001 6:35AM
        > I have been developing the theory of proximity functions p1(x,y) = 1 + y - x
        [snip]
        > For the elliptic curve y^2 + c1xy + c2y = x^3 + c3x^2 + c4x + c5 where ci
        > for i = 1 to 5 are real numbers, the left hand side is a polynomial in y up
        > to symmetric terms in x and y (namely c1xy), which will be denoted by F(y),
        > and the right hand side is a polynomial in x which will be denoted by G(x).
        >[snip]
        > For the elliptic curve, certainly
        > F(x) < = G(y), and we can add 1 to both sides of the elliptic curve equation
        > above and then incorporate the left-hand side 1 into F which now has an
        > additional constant term 1 which new polynomial will still be written F, so
        > that now we have F(y) = G(x) + 1 or 1 + G(x) = F(y) where = is used in its
        > ordinary sense. Since the indeterminate symbols are arbitrary, writing 1 +
        > G(y) - F(x) = 0 yields the form 1 + y - x = 0 for y replaced by G(y) and x
        > replaced by F(x). Thus, the elliptic curve is a curve of 0 generalized
        > influence, and since a constant was incorporated into F, it is correct to
        > say that the elliptic curve is a curve of in general constant influence.
        > Elliptic curves can be regarded as number theory analogues of geodesics in
        > view of this result (in the sense of constant parallel displacement).

        [I'm afraid absestos underwear is needed at this point...]

        So, if I have a curve F(y) = G(x), where F and G are _arbitrary_ monic
        polynomials,
        and do your replacements on them, I get 1 + F(y) - G(x) = 0,
        and thence 1 + y - x = 0,
        and can then say my curve is "an analogy to a geodesic."
        But, a geodesic is a _special_ kind of curve, namely one determined by
        self-parallel displacement (w.r.t a particular affine connection) of the
        tangent vector to the curve.
        Contradiction.
        This reductio ad absurdum shows that your observations are without any
        significant content.
        Please, also, look back over your article and notice how the notation
        oscillates
        between G(y) and F(x), and F(y) and G(x).
        How are we supposed to make any sense at all of such a posting?
        Mike Oakes