RE: [PrimeNumbers] Proof of Goldbach's Conjecture - Take Two

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
      I've not yet had chance to check your proof on your web page, but the
      following two sentences caught my eye.

      > I am claiming exclusive worldwide patent rights on the algorithm,
      > and all of the fruits of the algorithm in my name.

      Too late. In virtually the entire world, you have to apply for patents
      *before* you make the invention public. I believe the US converted to this
      approach recently, but may be wrong. If I am wrong, you now have one year
      to file a pattent in the US. If you get it, it won't be valid anywhere
      else.

      > I am claiming exclusive worldwide copyright on my proof and
      > all information contained herein and in the document sss.doc
      > posted in Primeform's file area on 12/17/00.

      You don't have to claim copyright. Any document is born copyrighted and
      remains that way for a very long time, typically > 75 years. About all you
      can do with copyright is transfer it to someone else! Further, you can't
      copyright an idea (a proof in this case) only a particular expression of it.
      There could be an argument over whether a different representation of the
      same idea is a "derived work" or not, but that's an argument that only
      lawyers tend to win.

      I hope your grasp of math is better than your knowledge of intellectual
      property law. I'll be taking a look.

      Paul
    • Bill Krys
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        These 2 statements caught my eye too.

        you can't claim patent rights without registration and
        then they are granted to you.

        Also, Paul is right that most countries in the world
        are absolute novelty jurisdictions, meaning you may
        not publicize it before applying for a patent.

        Canada and the U.S. were in 1999, when I was articling
        in an IP office in Canada, relative novelty
        jurisdictions, meaning you and only you may apply for
        a patent within 1 year of publication.

        Most importantly, you CANNOT patent a formula,
        algorithm mathematical or scientific law etc.

        Copyright only protects the expression of the idea not
        the idea itself and for living persons (not
        corporations) typically lasts 70 years after the last
        day of the year of death.

        Bill

        --- Paul Leyland <pleyland@...> wrote:
        > I've not yet had chance to check your proof on your
        > web page, but the
        > following two sentences caught my eye.
        >
        > > I am claiming exclusive worldwide patent rights on
        > the algorithm,
        > > and all of the fruits of the algorithm in my name.
        >
        > Too late. In virtually the entire world, you have
        > to apply for patents
        > *before* you make the invention public. I believe
        > the US converted to this
        > approach recently, but may be wrong. If I am
        > wrong, you now have one year
        > to file a pattent in the US. If you get it, it
        > won't be valid anywhere
        > else.
        >
        > > I am claiming exclusive worldwide copyright on my
        > proof and
        > > all information contained herein and in the
        > document sss.doc
        > > posted in Primeform's file area on 12/17/00.
        >
        > You don't have to claim copyright. Any document is
        > born copyrighted and
        > remains that way for a very long time, typically >
        > 75 years. About all you
        > can do with copyright is transfer it to someone
        > else! Further, you can't
        > copyright an idea (a proof in this case) only a
        > particular expression of it.
        > There could be an argument over whether a different
        > representation of the
        > same idea is a "derived work" or not, but that's an
        > argument that only
        > lawyers tend to win.
        >

        > I hope your grasp of math is better than your
        > knowledge of intellectual
        > property law. I'll be taking a look.
        >

        > Paul

        =====
        Refining my sieve into a simple, non-stochastic algorithm

        Bill Krys
        Email: billkrys@...
        Toronto, Canada (currently: Beijing, China)

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Bill Krys
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
          Dick,

          may I get a copy of your proof. I cannot acces your
          webpage after several attempts.

          Bill

          =====
          Refining my sieve into a simple, non-stochastic algorithm

          Bill Krys
          Email: billkrys@...
          Toronto, Canada (currently: Beijing, China)

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • Dick Boland
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
            Hi Bill,

            Perhaps Milton was having the same trouble.
            It is rather large (1meg+) with the pictures
            included. There is my first version with all my
            claims and less info on the twin prime Conjecture
            in the file area of Primeform. It is an email
            archive file called Goldbach.mht

            http://www.egroups.com - Primeform group
            files area, directory is "Proof of Goldbach's
            Conjecture", file Goldbach.mht. Please try that
            first and if that's no good, I'll try to come up
            with an "emailable" attachment.

            Thanks,

            Dick Boland

            http://photos.yahoo.com/