Re: Twin Prime Puzzle

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 30 4:06 PM
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gilson <bobgillson@...> wrote:

      > I noticed that the sequence of even numbers 30,,60,90,120,150,180 ... has some strange properties.
      >
      > 30 has two partitions 13:17 and 11:19, which gives the Twin Primes 11,13 and 17,19
      > 60 has two partitions 17:43 and 19:41, which gives the Twin Primes 17,19 and 41,43
      >
      > Similarly for 90, 120, 150, 180.
      >
      > I presume that this pattern must break down at some point - could someone tell me where?

      http://shakespeare.mit.edu/lear/lear.5.3.html
      Never, never, never, never, never!

      David (who does not have reliable record using this quote)
    • yasep16
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 30 4:22 PM
        Le 2013-08-31 01:06, djbroadhurst a écrit :
        > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gilson <bobgillson@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> I noticed that the sequence of even numbers 30,,60,90,120,150,180
        >> ... has some strange properties.
        >>
        >> 30 has two partitions 13:17 and 11:19, which gives the Twin Primes
        >> 11,13 and 17,19
        >> 60 has two partitions 17:43 and 19:41, which gives the Twin Primes
        >> 17,19 and 41,43
        >>
        >> Similarly for 90, 120, 150, 180.
        >>
        >> I presume that this pattern must break down at some point - could
        >> someone tell me where?
        >
        > http://shakespeare.mit.edu/lear/lear.5.3.html
        > Never, never, never, never, never!
        >
        > David (who does not have reliable record using this quote)

        If this is the case then isn't this a proof of the twin primes
        conjecture ?

        Just asking...
      • Jens Kruse Andersen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30 5:06 PM
          Bob Gilson wrote:
          > I presume that this pattern must break down at some point - could
          > someone tell me where?

          David is almost certainly right here. Twin primes aren't that rare.
          See Harvey Dubner's "Twin Prime Conjectures":
          http://oeis.org/A007534/a007534.pdf
          See also http://oeis.org/A007534
          and http://oeis.org/A179825 which probably only has those 11 terms.
          None of them are multiples of 30 (that's no coincidence; small factors
          improve the odds).
          But the keyword "fini" (a finite sequence) seems inappropriate
          when it's only a conjecture. If conjectured keywords are
          acceptable then you might as well go full out and say "full" (the full
          sequence is given).
          http://oeis.org/A007534 also claims "fini" and then says
          "Conjectured to be complete" in the extensions field.

          --
          Jens Kruse Andersen
        • Bob Gilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 30 5:35 PM
            I can give you the beginning of the full sequence.

            It is 10,16,18,22,24,30,34,36,42,46,48,54,60,64,66,72,76,78,84,90,102,106,108,112,114,120,126,132,138,142,144,150,156,158,168,180,198,210,240,246 . . .

            That is as far as paper and pencil takes me, and I might have made some typo errors.

            Incidentally, I have not laid claim to any proof of anything whatsoever.

            I just wanted to know how far primorial 30 extends into this realm.

            Kind regards

            Bob

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 30 6:50 PM
              --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, whygee@... wrote:

              > If this is the case then isn't this a proof of the twin primes
              > conjecture ?

              No. The twin prime conjecture is based on the heuristic
              that n increases faster than log(n)^2.

              The present conjecture is based on the heuristic
              that n increases faster than log(n)^4.

              You can keep on going, piling on extra conditions.
              In general, every constellation that is not forbidden
              is expected to occur an infinite number of times.

              David
            • warren_d_smith31
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 31 11:49 PM
                 Wow!  The home pages of the groups just got incredibly ugly and dysfunctional in a complete appearance and function change which made it way worse and also deleted the "pictures" (a big picture of the number 2, in the case of primenumbers). Plus there are now giant ads obscuring most of the screen. Is yahoo intentionally trying to make everybody go away? --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, <david.broadhurst@...> wrote: --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com , whygee@... wrote:

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1, 2013
                  --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, <warren.wds@...> wrote:

                  >  Wow!  The home pages of the groups just got incredibly ugly and dysfunctional

                  I jump straight to
                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/messages
                  which seems for the time being to be ad-free.

                  David
                • mistermac39
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 1, 2013
                     In case I never am able to contact you chaps again, because of Yahoo (Boohoo), it has been a pleasure to know you all.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 1, 2013
                       I tried David's workaround, but the bastewards change the "groups" to "neo/groups". I am furious about this!
                      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, <mistermac39@...> wrote:
                       In case I never am able to contact you chaps again, because of Yahoo (Boohoo), it has been a pleasure to know you all.   --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com , <david.broadhurst@...> wrote: --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com , <warren.wds@...> wrote: >  Wow!  The home pages of the groups just got incredibly ugly and dysfunctional I jump straight to http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/messages which seems for the time being to be ad-free. David
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 1, 2013
                        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, <mistermac39@...> wrote:

                        >  I tried David's workaround, but the bastewards
                        > change the "groups" to "neo/groups".
                        > I am furious about this!

                        Try starting at

                        It seems to be a US/UK thing at present.
                        But no doubt they will make this pond-side
                        suffer like you, real soon.

                        http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26251.html

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 1, 2013
                          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "djbroadhurst" <david.broadhurst@...> wrote:

                          > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, <mistermac39@> wrote:
                          >
                          > >  I tried David's workaround, but the bastewards
                          > > change the "groups" to "neo/groups".
                          > > I am furious about this!
                          >
                          > Try starting at

                          I looked to see if managers can keep their groups "classic". Seems not:
                          et seqq.