Re: [PrimeNumbers] Significance of individual digits in prime likeliness...

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2013
      On Wed, 7/31/13, mgmutch <mgmutch@...> wrote:

      [SNIP enormous table with apparently 11 columns, and no meaning]

      > Any comments?

      Yes - why did I approve that message in that form, i.e. with no explanation?

      I don't know if yahoogroups was to blame for the table to be badly formatted (lines split), or whether it's your outgoing mail client, or even my mail reader (also yahoo, spit!), but if it looked badly line wrapped to you too, then consider using a different mail client, your current one isn't sending what you're writing.

      What would be most useful and compact would be an explanation and additionally perhaps a short program used to generate the table. Preferably in Pari/GP, Mathematica, Sage, Maxima, or similar.
      Just a big table of numbers tells us very little.

    • Jens Kruse Andersen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2013
        mgmutch wrote:
        > 4 1 0 1 0 0 0 0

        It looks a little better at
        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/25322
        than in the mail. It's still cryptic without an explanation but I figured
        out what it shows. I didn't figure out any significance though.

        The count of each digit in a prime is given. It assumes 6-digit
        primes with leading 0's allowed and counted, but not written.

        "4 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 3001" means the prime 3001 has 4 '0'
        (when written as 003001 with 6 digits), 1 '1', 0 '2', 1 '3', 0 '4',
        0 '5', 0 '6', 0 '7', 0 '8', 0 '9'.

        For unknown reasons, the primes appear to be sorted in reverse
        lexicographical order of their digit counts. Primes with the same
        digit count like {31, 3001, 13, 103, 100003} are also sorted
        internally in reverse lexicographical order (without assuming
        leading 0's in the sorting).

        --
        Jens Kruse Andersen