Re: seeking smallest 'forward concatenation prime' for power of 79

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 30, 2013
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:

      >> In base n, the number of primes beginning with a power of n
      >> that are a concatenation of simply decremented numbers that
      >> are less than the smallest prime that is a similar concatenation
      >> beginning with a power of n and proceeding by increments instead.
      >
      > simplify the horrendous description above

      James' logorrhea is utterly baffling, to me.
      I am usually able to understand definitions
      posted on this list, even when they are obfuscated.
      But the logorrheic convolution above defeats me.
      Only sharp minds, like Jack's, seem able to decode it.

      Please, Jack, might you give us lesser mortals some idea of
      what you have divined from James' verbiage?

      David
    • Jack Brennen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 30, 2013
        I divined the "lesser problem" from the base 10 curiosity previously linked.

        Basically, take all of the positive integers that can be obtained
        by starting with a power of 10 and concatenating consecutive increasing
        numbers:

        10
        1011
        101112
        10111213
        1011121314
        100
        100101
        100101102
        1000
        10001001
        100010011002

        The smallest such prime is the 140 digit number linked as a prime
        curio in James' first post on this subject, consisting of the ten
        consecutive numbers from 10^13 to 10^13+9 concatenated.

        The fundamental question to this thread is to find the smallest such
        prime when operating in base 79. I assume that the trivial example
        of 10(base 79) is excluded, although it is prime.

        I ended up searching up to about 6500 decimal digits without finding
        such a prime.

        On 7/30/2013 3:53 PM, djbroadhurst wrote:

        > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        > Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:
        >
        >>> In base n, the number of primes beginning with a power of n
        >>> that are a concatenation of simply decremented numbers that
        >>> are less than the smallest prime that is a similar concatenation
        >>> beginning with a power of n and proceeding by increments instead.
        >>
        >> simplify the horrendous description above
        >
        > James' logorrhea is utterly baffling, to me.
        > I am usually able to understand definitions
        > posted on this list, even when they are obfuscated.
        > But the logorrheic convolution above defeats me.
        > Only sharp minds, like Jack's, seem able to decode it.
        >
        > Please, Jack, might you give us lesser mortals some idea of
        > what you have divined from James' verbiage?
        >
        > David

      • James Merickel
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
          As noted, I have responded by submitting the suggested sequence to simplify this. I will point out that at least one OEIS editor apparently understood this. The change to the title may still be long; so, David, once you've figured out what I mean perhaps you will have better wording than the obvious change being made that refers to A227775.
          JGM

          Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Re: seeking smallest 'forward concatenation prime' for power of 79
          To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 3:53 PM

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2013
            I gather that Mr. Brennen meant the list to exclude powers of 10 from his remark on searching base 79, and this would be correct.