Zhang many small prime gaps -- alleged improvements

  • WarrenS
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
      Allegedly, Zhang's bound of 70000000 has now shrunk to 12006:

      http://michaelnielsen.org/polymath1/index.php?title=Bounded_gaps_between_primes
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
        A question or two for Warren or anyone on this forum. They are fairly obbvious questions, but I would think they are not altogether out of order.

        (1)Is this rate of alleged progress surprising?

        (2)Are the methods being used surprising?

        (3)What, if any, are the reasons to cast doubt on the figure of 12006?

        (4) If there are no serious doubts, what rate of progress would be reasonably expected in say the next period of time equal to the elapsed time since Zhang's breakthrough.

        (5) Is there any serious peer doubt about Zhang's original methods and findings?

        (6) Is there any authority who has attempted to make some kind of popular assessment of the problem, Zhang's approach, and the subsequent work?

        (7) Is Zhang himself still working hard on the problem?

        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:

        > Allegedly, Zhang's bound of 70000000 has now shrunk to 12006:
        >
        > http://michaelnielsen.org/polymath1/index.php?title=Bounded_gaps_between_primes

      • Jose Ramón Brox
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
          2013/6/25 John <mistermac39@...>

          > (6) Is there any authority who has attempted to make some kind of popular
          > assessment of the problem, Zhang's approach, and the subsequent work?

          This one I can answer:

          http://terrytao.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/online-reading-seminar-for-zhangs-bounded-gaps-between-primes/

          I'm also interested on the answers to your other questions, although it is
          obvious that that to (4) is "who knows" ;P

          Regards,
          Jose Brox

        • paulunderwooduk
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:

            > Allegedly, Zhang's bound of 70000000 has now shrunk to 12006:
            >
            > http://michaelnielsen.org/polymath1/index.php?title=Bounded_gaps_between_primes

            One of the guys in this 27th May video says the lower bound will be 16. Close but no cigar :-)
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4_sNKoO-RA

            Paul
          • yasep16
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
              Le 2013-06-25 19:17, John a écrit :
              <snip>

              I'll add another question :

              (8) What did we learn from this proof and what new insight has been
              gained ?