Re: Flat ternary cyclotomic polynomials

    Message 1 of 43 , May 23, 2013
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "David Broadhurst" <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

      > Conjectures for flat ternary cyclotomic polynomials

      Sam Elder, at MIT, has made impressive progress
      http://arxiv.org/abs/1207.5811
      on this subject, which Phil Carmody and I studied
      on this list, with algorithmic help from Makoto Kamada.

      Sam's article references this list:

      [4] D. Broadhurst, Cyclotomic polynomials puzzles, Yahoo Groups primenumbers message #20282,
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/20282

      [5] D. Broadhurst, Flat ternary cyclotomic polynomials, Yahoo Groups primenumbers message #20305,
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/20305

      but it is also important to record, here, the interaction
      with Phil and Makoto, on this list, that informed my work.

      Sometimes, maths authors are reluctant to reference our
      amateur musings, in PrimeNumbers. Sam took the opposite view.

      David (never a proper mathematician)
      Message 43 of 43 , May 23, 2013
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        whygee@... asked:

        > What's a "proper mathematician" ?

        On who regularly publishes, in mathematical journals,
        articles that do not derive principally from other subjects,
        such as physics.

        David (pleading not guilty)