Re: Unread heros of Math & Physics

    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2013
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Adriano Palma <palma@...> wrote:

      > evariste galois alex grothendieck

      Phil's guess about the primality of 91 was bettered by
      Grothendieck's guess about the primality of 57:

      http://www.ams.org/notices/200410/fea-grothendieck-part2.pdf

      >> One striking characteristic of Grothendieck's
      mode of thinking is that it seemed to rely so little
      on examples. This can be seen in the legend of the
      so-called "Grothendieck prime". In a mathematical
      conversation, someone suggested to Grothendieck
      that they should consider a particular prime number.
      "You mean an actual number?" Grothendieck
      asked. The other person replied, yes, an actual
      prime number. Grothendieck suggested, "All right,
      take 57." <<

      David
    • mikeoakes2
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20, 2013

        > Phil's guess about the primality of 91 was bettered by
        > Grothendieck's guess about the primality of 57:
        >
        > http://www.ams.org/notices/200410/fea-grothendieck-part2.pdf
        >
        > >> One striking characteristic of Grothendieck's
        > mode of thinking is that it seemed to rely so little
        > on examples. This can be seen in the legend of the
        > so-called "Grothendieck prime". In a mathematical
        > conversation, someone suggested to Grothendieck
        > that they should consider a particular prime number.
        > "You mean an actual number?" Grothendieck
        > asked. The other person replied, yes, an actual
        > prime number. Grothendieck suggested, "All right,
        > take 57." <<

        Thank you, David, for directing us to that intriguing article about a very strange man.
        I was struck by this:

        In a brief memoir about Grothendieck,
        Ladegaillerie wrote: "I had had as professors
        in Paris some of the great mathematicians of the
        day, from Schwartz to Cartan, but Grothendieck was
        completely different, an extra-terrestrial.<<

        Mike
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2013
          "mikeoakes2" <mikeoakes2@...> wrote:

          > > http://www.ams.org/notices/200410/fea-grothendieck-part2.pdf
          > Thank you, David, for directing us to that intriguing article
          > about a very strange man.

          http://www.ams.org/notices/200808/tx080800930p.pdf

          is a big file [11 MB] by the author of what will
          become a 3-volume biography of Grothendieck.

          David
        • j_chrtn
          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2013
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "mikeoakes2" wrote:

            > In a brief memoir about Grothendieck,
            > Ladegaillerie wrote: "I had had as professors
            > in Paris some of the great mathematicians of the
            > day, from Schwartz to Cartan, but Grothendieck was
            > completely different, an extra-terrestrial.<<
            >
            > Mike

            Lorsque j'étais en classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles
            (ça date un peu maintenant), j'avais un bouquin de corrigés
            d'épreuves de Centrale, Polytechnique, ENS, etc dans lequel il y
            avait l'illustration humoristique suivante :

            http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-p\
            repas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg
            <http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-\
            prepas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg>

            Selon la citation de Mike, sur ce dessin Grothendieck se situe
            probablement à la droite du personnage le plus à droite !

            :-)

            JL

          • yasep16
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2013
              ckickable, non-wrapped link :
              http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-prepas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg

              somehow, the one on the right is the least scary...

              Le 2013-05-21 10:44, j_chrtn a écrit :
              > Lorsque j'étais en classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles
              > (ça date un peu maintenant), j'avais un bouquin de corrigés
              > d'épreuves de Centrale, Polytechnique, ENS, etc dans lequel il y
              > avait l'illustration humoristique suivante :
              >

              > http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-p\
              > repas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg
              >
              > <http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-\
              > prepas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg>
              >
              > Selon la citation de Mike, sur ce dessin Grothendieck se situe
              > probablement à la droite du personnage le plus à droite !
              >
              > :-)
              >
              > JL

              YG