evariste galois alex grothendieck

  • Adriano Palma
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12 1:51 AM
      ________________________________
      From: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com [primenumbers@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of j_chrtn [j_chrtn@...]
      Sent: 12 May 2013 01:35
      To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Unread heros of Math & Physics

      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com<mailto:primenumbers%40yahoogroups.com>, "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

      > To Newton, Maxwell and Einstein belongs the almost sole
      > glory of capturing the essentials of mechanics,
      > electromagnetism and relativity, respectively, in a handful
      > of ideas and equations of great power and persuasiveness.

      Not to minimize the work of such a genius that was Einstein what about Lorentz and Poincar�'s contributions to special relativity?
      And as a mathematician, Poincar� probably ranks in the top of the list close to Euler and Gauss.

      Among my favorite mathematicians is also Galois: I can't hardly imagine the work he would have achieved if he did not die (stupidly) at only 20.

      JL

      ======= Please find our Email Disclaimer here-->: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer =======

      Message 2 of 6 , May 20 5:27 AM
        Adriano Palma <palma@...> wrote:

        > evariste galois alex grothendieck

        Phil's guess about the primality of 91 was bettered by
        Grothendieck's guess about the primality of 57:

        http://www.ams.org/notices/200410/fea-grothendieck-part2.pdf

        >> One striking characteristic of Grothendieck's
        mode of thinking is that it seemed to rely so little
        on examples. This can be seen in the legend of the
        so-called "Grothendieck prime". In a mathematical
        conversation, someone suggested to Grothendieck
        that they should consider a particular prime number.
        "You mean an actual number?" Grothendieck
        asked. The other person replied, yes, an actual
        prime number. Grothendieck suggested, "All right,
        take 57." <<

        David
      • mikeoakes2
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20 7:27 AM

          > Phil's guess about the primality of 91 was bettered by
          > Grothendieck's guess about the primality of 57:
          >
          > http://www.ams.org/notices/200410/fea-grothendieck-part2.pdf
          >
          > >> One striking characteristic of Grothendieck's
          > mode of thinking is that it seemed to rely so little
          > on examples. This can be seen in the legend of the
          > so-called "Grothendieck prime". In a mathematical
          > conversation, someone suggested to Grothendieck
          > that they should consider a particular prime number.
          > "You mean an actual number?" Grothendieck
          > asked. The other person replied, yes, an actual
          > prime number. Grothendieck suggested, "All right,
          > take 57." <<

          Thank you, David, for directing us to that intriguing article about a very strange man.
          I was struck by this:

          In a brief memoir about Grothendieck,
          Ladegaillerie wrote: "I had had as professors
          in Paris some of the great mathematicians of the
          day, from Schwartz to Cartan, but Grothendieck was
          completely different, an extra-terrestrial.<<

          Mike
          Message 4 of 6 , May 20 1:30 PM
            "mikeoakes2" <mikeoakes2@...> wrote:

            > > http://www.ams.org/notices/200410/fea-grothendieck-part2.pdf
            > Thank you, David, for directing us to that intriguing article
            > about a very strange man.

            http://www.ams.org/notices/200808/tx080800930p.pdf

            is a big file [11 MB] by the author of what will
            become a 3-volume biography of Grothendieck.

            David
          • j_chrtn
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21 1:44 AM
              --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "mikeoakes2" wrote:

              > In a brief memoir about Grothendieck,
              > Ladegaillerie wrote: "I had had as professors
              > in Paris some of the great mathematicians of the
              > day, from Schwartz to Cartan, but Grothendieck was
              > completely different, an extra-terrestrial.<<
              >
              > Mike

              Lorsque j'étais en classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles
              (ça date un peu maintenant), j'avais un bouquin de corrigés
              d'épreuves de Centrale, Polytechnique, ENS, etc dans lequel il y
              avait l'illustration humoristique suivante :

              http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-p\
              repas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg
              <http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-\
              prepas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg>

              Selon la citation de Mike, sur ce dessin Grothendieck se situe
              probablement à la droite du personnage le plus à droite !

              :-)

              JL

            • yasep16
              Message 6 of 6 , May 21 5:05 AM
                ckickable, non-wrapped link :
                http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-prepas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg

                somehow, the one on the right is the least scary...

                Le 2013-05-21 10:44, j_chrtn a écrit :
                > Lorsque j'étais en classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles
                > (ça date un peu maintenant), j'avais un bouquin de corrigés
                > d'épreuves de Centrale, Polytechnique, ENS, etc dans lequel il y
                > avait l'illustration humoristique suivante :
                >

                > http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-p\
                > repas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg
                >
                > <http://www.1000-annonces.com/agrege-et-kholleur-de-physique-en-classes-\
                > prepas-IMGH1342442936_alien.jpg>
                >
                > Selon la citation de Mike, sur ce dessin Grothendieck se situe
                > probablement à la droite du personnage le plus à droite !
                >
                > :-)
                >
                > JL

                YG