Re: Cute dice problem

    Message 1 of 16 , May 16, 2013
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      "woodhodgson@..." <rupert.weather@...> wrote:

      > It seems to me there is a very short proof available ....
      > by mathematical induction ....

      Indeed:

    • John
      Message 2 of 16 , May 19, 2013

        > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        > "woodhodgson@" <rupert.weather@> wrote:
        >
        > > It seems to me there is a very short proof available ....
        > > by mathematical induction ....
        >
        > Indeed:
        >
        > David

        In this little interesting problem, David's "dumb" answer was the dumbness of ordinary arithmetic compared with the elegance of modular arithmetic and induction.

        But, though both give the right answer, I have to "dip the lid" to elegance, even if it requires a bit of effort to bring it about.