Re: Unread heros of Math & Physics

  • j_chrtn
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11 4:35 PM

      > To Newton, Maxwell and Einstein belongs the almost sole
      > glory of capturing the essentials of mechanics,
      > electromagnetism and relativity, respectively, in a handful
      > of ideas and equations of great power and persuasiveness.

      Not to minimize the work of such a genius that was Einstein what about Lorentz and Poincaré's contributions to special relativity?
      And as a mathematician, Poincaré probably ranks in the top of the list close to Euler and Gauss.

      Among my favorite mathematicians is also Galois: I can't hardly imagine the work he would have achieved if he did not die (stupidly) at only 20.

      JL
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11 6:54 PM
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        "j_chrtn" <j_chrtn@...> wrote:

        > And as a mathematician, Poincaré probably ranks in the top
        > of the list close to Euler and Gauss.

        Agreed. But Einstein's claim in general relativity
        far outweighs Poincaré's in special relativity.

        David Hilbert is another example of "proxime accessit".

        > Among my favorite mathematicians is also Galois:
        > I can't hardly imagine the work he would have achieved
        > if he did not die (stupidly) at only 20.

        Also agreed. It shames me that I have not yet mastered
        what he did in those brief years. Like Eric Temple Bell
        I regret his early demise.