Re: Unread heros of Math & Physics

    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2013
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Jack Brennen <jfb@...> wrote:

      > David, wonder if you would agree that no physicist has a
      > wider gap between his contribution (huge) and his fame
      > (minor) as Oliver Heaviside...

      Agreed. My father was an electrical engineer and thought
      that the British have a class snobbery against practical
      thinkers. In France, on the other hand, the Grandes Ecoles
      made sure that good maths and physics was done by people
      trained and recognized as ingenieurs.

      David
    • j_chrtn
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2013

        > To Newton, Maxwell and Einstein belongs the almost sole
        > glory of capturing the essentials of mechanics,
        > electromagnetism and relativity, respectively, in a handful
        > of ideas and equations of great power and persuasiveness.

        Not to minimize the work of such a genius that was Einstein what about Lorentz and Poincaré's contributions to special relativity?
        And as a mathematician, Poincaré probably ranks in the top of the list close to Euler and Gauss.

        Among my favorite mathematicians is also Galois: I can't hardly imagine the work he would have achieved if he did not die (stupidly) at only 20.

        JL
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2013
          "j_chrtn" <j_chrtn@...> wrote:

          > And as a mathematician, Poincaré probably ranks in the top
          > of the list close to Euler and Gauss.

          Agreed. But Einstein's claim in general relativity
          far outweighs Poincaré's in special relativity.

          David Hilbert is another example of "proxime accessit".

          > Among my favorite mathematicians is also Galois:
          > I can't hardly imagine the work he would have achieved
          > if he did not die (stupidly) at only 20.

          Also agreed. It shames me that I have not yet mastered
          what he did in those brief years. Like Eric Temple Bell
          I regret his early demise.