Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Unread heros of Math & Physics

  • Jack Brennen
    Message 1 of 10 , May 10, 2013
      David, wonder if you would agree that no physicist has a
      wider gap between his contribution (huge) and his fame
      (minor) as Oliver Heaviside...

      Heaviside should be right up there with the great
      physicists of all time.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2013
        Jack Brennen <jfb@...> wrote:

        > David, wonder if you would agree that no physicist has a
        > wider gap between his contribution (huge) and his fame
        > (minor) as Oliver Heaviside...

        Agreed. My father was an electrical engineer and thought
        that the British have a class snobbery against practical
        thinkers. In France, on the other hand, the Grandes Ecoles
        made sure that good maths and physics was done by people
        trained and recognized as ingenieurs.

        David
      • j_chrtn
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2013

          > To Newton, Maxwell and Einstein belongs the almost sole
          > glory of capturing the essentials of mechanics,
          > electromagnetism and relativity, respectively, in a handful
          > of ideas and equations of great power and persuasiveness.

          Not to minimize the work of such a genius that was Einstein what about Lorentz and Poincaré's contributions to special relativity?
          And as a mathematician, Poincaré probably ranks in the top of the list close to Euler and Gauss.

          Among my favorite mathematicians is also Galois: I can't hardly imagine the work he would have achieved if he did not die (stupidly) at only 20.

          JL
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2013
            "j_chrtn" <j_chrtn@...> wrote:

            > And as a mathematician, Poincaré probably ranks in the top
            > of the list close to Euler and Gauss.

            Agreed. But Einstein's claim in general relativity
            far outweighs Poincaré's in special relativity.

            David Hilbert is another example of "proxime accessit".

            > Among my favorite mathematicians is also Galois:
            > I can't hardly imagine the work he would have achieved
            > if he did not die (stupidly) at only 20.

            Also agreed. It shames me that I have not yet mastered
            what he did in those brief years. Like Eric Temple Bell
            I regret his early demise.