MegaPrime

  • Mohsen Afshin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2013
      I'm looking for an answer to my question specifically form dear Chris
      Caldwell.

      "Is it OK to use a supercomputer (a rather powerful one) to find mega
      primes and submit them to prime pages or even break a record?"

      I think even using supercomputers, this job (finding mega primes), is not a
      fast job since it took GIMPS with its thousands volunteer computing nodes,
      near 5 years to break the record from 12M to 17M prime number.

      --
      "Mathematics is the queen of the sciences and number theory is the queen of
      mathematics."

    • Chris Caldwell
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
        Many of the record primes before GIMPS were found by Cray super computers as are some verifications now. In practice though the many tens of thousands of micros have outperform the supers in prime searching. I see no reason why thiss should change in the future.