Re: Cute dice problem [by induction]

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5 11:20 AM
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Jack Brennen <jfb@...> wrote:

      > Throw the first three dice and figure your sum.

      Jack's "first three" seems to be a red herring.

      Solution: First n give equipartition mod 6, by induction.
      So the probability of (1 or 5) mod 6 is /always/ 1/3,
      no matter how may dice you throw.

      Doh!

      David (not taught induction until high school)
    • Jack Brennen
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 5 12:30 PM
        On 4/5/2013 11:20 AM, djbroadhurst wrote:

        > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        > Jack Brennen <jfb@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Throw the first three dice and figure your sum.
        >
        > Jack's "first three" seems to be a red herring.

        Sort of a red herring.

        You could replace "throw the first three dice and figure your sum"
        with "pick any integer". :)

        On 4/5/2013 10:28 AM, Chris Caldwell wrote:

        > But why would a middle school child recognize that? Surely they did
        > not want a long calculation. (One of my colleagues said generating
        > functions give you the answer very quickly--definitely not a middle
        > school solution!)

        Most wouldn't recognize it. I'd like to think I would have recognized
        it at that age, but I can't be sure. In seventh grade, I scored a 105
        out of 150 on the contest that is now called the AMC-12, which was a
        pretty decent score. If you believe what you read online, Noam Elkies,
        who is three months younger than me, scored a 112 on that test, and then
        he proceeded to beat my math competition scores routinely over the next
        three years.

        All of which is to say... a decent math competition should have some
        problems which are well beyond the capabilities of the average
        competitor. In ninth grade, I think I was a national co-champion of
        the Continental Math League competition, because I didn't get a single
        question wrong all year. It wasn't a particularly satisfying result.
        That league was fairly new at the time, and I hope they learned that
        you need to put some "stretch" questions in with the routine ones.
      • Chris Caldwell
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5 12:52 PM
          I also enjoyed that test (the ACM-12) as a child, but of course that test is for students 4 years older than this test for Tennessee youth (only) is. Also this test is supposed to be limited to the state standards, so should not be the level of the ACM-8 either . But you are right in that they are designed to not allow the dreaded perfect scores (or even tied high values).

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5 1:12 PM
            The math required to understand the "easy" solution to the dice problem
            is easily within the realm of 8th grade mathematics.

            The insight required to come up with the easy solution, while under time
            pressure... That's another issue entirely. To get to the insight
            requires recognizing that for 4 dice (and for 4 dice only!), you can
            replace "prime" with "coprime with 6". Transforming a problem into
            an equivalent easier problem -- that's something that is really hard
            to master. (And almost certainly something that most 8th graders have
            not been taught in school.)

            On 4/5/2013 12:52 PM, Chris Caldwell wrote:
            > I also enjoyed that test (the ACM-12) as a child, but of course that
            > test is for students 4 years older than this test for Tennessee youth
            > (only) is. Also this test is supposed to be limited to the state
            > standards, so should not be the level of the ACM-8 either . But you
            > are right in that they are designed to not allow the dreaded perfect
            > scores (or even tied high values).

          • John
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 15 9:30 AM

              > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
              > Chris Caldwell <caldwell@> wrote:
              >
              > > if you roll four standard 6-sided dice and add up the resulting values,
              > > what is the probability of rolling prime number?
              >
              > Help! I did this a dumb way, but got a simple answer:
              > (4+20+104+140+104+56+4)/6^4 = 1/3
              > Is there a smarter way, please?
              >
              > David

              Not all that dumb in my book. In fact, it is the most logical. Just work out the number of permutations for n=5,7,11,13,17,19,23 and add them up, and divide by 1296.
            • Jack Brennen
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 15 9:56 AM
                Show the values that you can have after rolling the first 3 dice, and
                then for each of those values, show how many primes can be reached with
                the last die:

                First three == 3: 2 primes (5 and 7)
                First three == 4: 2 primes (5 and 7)
                First three == 5: 2 primes (7 and 11)
                First three == 6: 2 primes (7 and 11)
                First three == 7: 2 primes (11 and 13)
                First three == 8: 2 primes (11 and 13)
                First three == 9: 2 primes (11 and 13)
                First three == 10: 2 primes (11 and 13)
                First three == 11: 2 primes (13 and 17)
                First three == 12: 2 primes (13 and 17)
                First three == 13: 2 primes (17 and 19)
                First three == 14: 2 primes (17 and 19)
                First three == 15: 2 primes (17 and 19)
                First three == 16: 2 primes (17 and 19)
                First three == 17: 2 primes (19 and 23)
                First three == 18: 2 primes (19 and 23)

                The rest is left as an exercise for the reader in use of the
                distributive property.

              • woodhodgson@xtra.co.nz
                Message 7 of 16 , May 16, 2013
                  --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

                  > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "djbroadhurst" d.broadhurst@
                  wrote:

                  > > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
                  > > Chris Caldwell wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > if you roll four standard 6-sided dice and add up the resulting
                  values,
                  > > > what is the probability of rolling prime number?
                  > >
                  > > Help! I did this a dumb way, but got a simple answer:
                  > > (4+20+104+140+104+56+4)/6^4 = 1/3
                  > > Is there a smarter way, please?
                  > >
                  > > David
                  > >

                  > Not all that dumb in my book. In fact, it is the most logical. Just
                  work out the number of permutations for n=5,7,11,13,17,19,23 and add
                  them up, and divide by 1296.

                  It seems to me there is a very short proof available. The prime numbers
                  in the range (4,24) are precisely those equivalent to 1 or 5, modulo 6.

                  Now it can very easily be shown by mathematical induction (**) that the
                  6^N values (modulo 6) obtained by adding N numbers selected "one from
                  each" of N copies of the 6-moduli {0,1,2,3,4,5} are represented the same
                  number of times {i.e. 6^(N-1) times}.

                  It then follows trivially that the required probability is 2/6 = 1/3.

                  I have only run this "through my head", but it seems correct to me.

                  (**) I suspect it is a trivial consequence of some algebraic or
                  number-theoretic theorem.

                • woodhodgson@xtra.co.nz
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 16, 2013
                    --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "woodhodgson@..." <rupert.weather@...> wrote:

                    > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "djbroadhurst" d.broadhurst@
                    > wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,

                    > values,
                    > > >
                    > > > Help! I did this a dumb way, but got a simple answer:
                    > > > (4+20+104+140+104+56+4)/6^4 = 1/3
                    > > > Is there a smarter way, please?
                    > > >
                    > > > David
                    > > >

                    > > Not all that dumb in my book. In fact, it is the most logical. Just
                    > work out the number of permutations for n=5,7,11,13,17,19,23 and add
                    > them up, and divide by 1296.
                    > >

                    > It seems to me there is a very short proof available. The prime numbers
                    > in the range (4,24) are precisely those equivalent to 1 or 5, modulo 6.
                    >
                    > Now it can very easily be shown by mathematical induction (**) that the
                    > 6^N values (modulo 6) obtained by adding N numbers selected "one from
                    > each" of N copies of the 6-moduli {0,1,2,3,4,5} are represented the same
                    > number of times {i.e. 6^(N-1) times}.
                    >
                    > It then follows trivially that the required probability is 2/6 = 1/3.
                    >
                    > I have only run this "through my head", but it seems correct to me.
                    >

                    > (**) I suspect it is a trivial consequence of some algebraic or
                    > number-theoretic theorem.

                    I have worded part of that clumsily and possibly misleadingly: it should read " ... the set of 6^N results (modulo 6) obtained by adding N numbers selected "one from each" of N copies of the 6-moduli {0,1,2,3,4,5} contains each of the values 0,1,2,3,4,5 the same number of times {i.e. 6^(N-1) times}."

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 16, 2013
                      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
                      "woodhodgson@..." <rupert.weather@...> wrote:

                      > It seems to me there is a very short proof available ....
                      > by mathematical induction ....

                      Indeed:

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 19, 2013

                        > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
                        > "woodhodgson@" <rupert.weather@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > It seems to me there is a very short proof available ....
                        > > by mathematical induction ....
                        >
                        > Indeed:
                        >
                        > David

                        In this little interesting problem, David's "dumb" answer was the dumbness of ordinary arithmetic compared with the elegance of modular arithmetic and induction.

                        But, though both give the right answer, I have to "dip the lid" to elegance, even if it requires a bit of effort to bring it about.