Re: [PrimeNumbers] primes such that every bit matters?

  • Maximilian Hasler
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2013
      > And although Paulsen's links seem to be dead, here's a message from
      > 10+ years ago, to this very mailing list, offering up the number 2131099:

      FWIW, the pages are still available at
      http://web.archive.org/http://www.csm.astate.edu/~wpaulsen/primemaze/pmaze.html

      Maximilian
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2013
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:

        > this frightening number is a probable prime:
        > 19249+2^551542

        and is dwarfed by
        http://www.primenumbers.net/prptop/detailprp.php?rank=1
        > 2^9092392+40291

        David
      • Maximilian Hasler
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013

          > A prime P which turns into a composite if you alter any bit in
          > its binary representation is an "every bit matters" prime.
          >
          > The examples below 10000 are
          > 127, 173, 191, 223, 233, 239, 251, 257, 277, 337, 349, 373, 431, 443,

          If you paste this into OEIS (and probably google, too)
          you will immediately find A137985 which in the first comment links
          to A065092, which in turn refers to Paulsen's Prime Numbers Maze.

          Regards,
          Maximilian
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 9, 2013
            --- On Thu, 4/4/13, djbroadhurst wrote:
            > "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:
            > > It's just a bit weird that I thought I had a totally original
            > > problem, and it turns out it has been worked on a ton by others
            > > for years...
            >
            > Why might that seem "weird" to you, Warren?
            > None of us should presuppose a monopoly on originality.

            There is something weird though - and that's that huge quantities of
            stuff I looked at a decade ago is being rediscovered by Warren. This
            makes my retirement from the field very hard, as he keeps posting
            things that I've been directly interested in. However, I'm happy, as
            a fresh mind approaching a problem can only ever increase the amount
            that is known, never diminish it. In particular, whilst my arithmetic
            may have been efficient, I was rarely good at the hard maths, so
            hopefully Warren can get past the road-blocks that I had way back when.