Re: primes such that every bit matters?

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2013
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:

      > > The mistake is that all your remarks are about the so-called /dual/ Sierpinski problem.
      > --which is... what?

      Section 2 of the paper to which Wilfrid directed you
      explains the diffrence between the SierpiĀ“nski problem
      and its dual, as remarked upon by Mike.

      David (atonally)
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2013
        "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:

        > It's just a bit weird that I thought I had a totally original
        > problem, and it turns out it has been worked on a ton by others
        > for years...

        Why might that seem "weird" to you, Warren?
        None of us should presuppose a monopoly on originality.

        Please see
        http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=110402
        > Kaiser1, Broadhurst, OpenPFGW, NewPGen, Primo
        for a laborious ECPP proof of a prime relevant to
        the dual Sierpi'nski problem:
        http://oeis.org/A076336/a076336c.html
        > 21661 61792 Broadhurst [May 20, 2002]

        In this case, neither Peter Kaiser nor I claim originality,
        which is indeed a scarce commodity.

        David
      • Maximilian Hasler
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2013
          > And although Paulsen's links seem to be dead, here's a message from
          > 10+ years ago, to this very mailing list, offering up the number 2131099:

          FWIW, the pages are still available at
          http://web.archive.org/http://www.csm.astate.edu/~wpaulsen/primemaze/pmaze.html

          Maximilian
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2013
            "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:

            > this frightening number is a probable prime:
            > 19249+2^551542

            and is dwarfed by
            http://www.primenumbers.net/prptop/detailprp.php?rank=1
            > 2^9092392+40291

            David
          • Maximilian Hasler
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2013

              > A prime P which turns into a composite if you alter any bit in
              > its binary representation is an "every bit matters" prime.
              >
              > The examples below 10000 are
              > 127, 173, 191, 223, 233, 239, 251, 257, 277, 337, 349, 373, 431, 443,

              If you paste this into OEIS (and probably google, too)
              you will immediately find A137985 which in the first comment links
              to A065092, which in turn refers to Paulsen's Prime Numbers Maze.

              Regards,
              Maximilian
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 9, 2013
                --- On Thu, 4/4/13, djbroadhurst wrote:
                > "WarrenS" <warren.wds@...> wrote:
                > > It's just a bit weird that I thought I had a totally original
                > > problem, and it turns out it has been worked on a ton by others
                > > for years...
                >
                > Why might that seem "weird" to you, Warren?
                > None of us should presuppose a monopoly on originality.

                There is something weird though - and that's that huge quantities of
                stuff I looked at a decade ago is being rediscovered by Warren. This
                makes my retirement from the field very hard, as he keeps posting
                things that I've been directly interested in. However, I'm happy, as
                a fresh mind approaching a problem can only ever increase the amount
                that is known, never diminish it. In particular, whilst my arithmetic
                may have been efficient, I was rarely good at the hard maths, so
                hopefully Warren can get past the road-blocks that I had way back when.