Richard Crandall

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
      I am sorry to inform the list that Richard Crandall died yesterday:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Crandall

      David Broadhurst
    • Mark Rodenkirch
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
        On Dec 21, 2012, at 4:24 AM, djbroadhurst wrote:
        > I am sorry to inform the list that Richard Crandall died yesterday:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Crandall
        >
        > David Broadhurst

        Very sad as I had worked with him (although never met him) as have a few others on this forum. He got me started on OpenCL development, specifically to use GPUs to search for the next Wieferich prime.

        --Mark

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 2012
          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
          Mark Rodenkirch <mgrogue@...> wrote:

          > On Dec 21, 2012, at 4:24 AM, djbroadhurst wrote:
          > > I am sorry to inform the list that Richard Crandall died yesterday:
          > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Crandall
          >
          > Very sad as I had worked with him (although never met him) as
          > have a few others on this forum. He got me started on OpenCL
          > development, specifically to use GPUs to search for the next
          > Wieferich prime.

          Here is an appropriate tribute, by Jon Borwein and David Bailey:

          http://experimentalmath.info/blog/2012/12/mathematicianphysicistinventor-richard-crandall-dies-at-64/

          Sadly,

          David Broadhurst
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2012
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
            Mark Rodenkirch <mgrogue@> wrote:

            > Very sad as I had worked with him (although never met him) as
            > have a few others on this forum.

            Here is a fit epitaph for Richard:
            "always a little too original to be in the mainstream"
            from a mainstream money-maker, Stephen Wolfram:
            http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2012/12/remembering-richard-crandall-1947-2012/