Fw: Re Fermat Factorisation

  • ronhallam@lineone.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2012
      Sent to me privately, I believe that it should be here as it relates to

      Ron

      me when

      >the best case running time will occur for fermat factorization.
      Moreover i

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2012
        > Please tell me when the best case running time will
        > occur for fermat factorization.

        For the product of twin primes n = p*(p+2)
        where p and p+2 are prime.

        > i need some reasoning for why the best case would occur

        Is this for an assignment?

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2012
          Kadhir wrote off list:

> [...]

          First you might learn how to combine
          Fermat's method with trial factorization.
          The classic reference by Lehman is freely available:

          http://www.ams.org/journals/mcom/1974-28-126/S0025-5718-1974-0340163-2/S0025-5718-1974-0340163-2.pdf

          PS: To reply to the list, online, you need to select:
          > primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
          at the "To:" prompt.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
            "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

            > To reply to the list, online, you need to select:
            > > primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
            > at the "To:" prompt.

            Kadhir seems unable to follow the above advice.
            Here, for the last time, I post an off-list reply:

            http://kadinumberprops.blogspot.in/2012/11/fermats-factorization-running-time.html

            At that URL, he deals with very small numbers and seems to
            assume that the power of 2 dividing the difference between
            two factors is known in advance, which is not the case.