MathJax Beautiful math in all browsers

  • john saccuan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2012
      Hi Guys,

      We can use MathJax...

      http://www.mathjax.org/demos/use-in-web-platforms/

      MathJax in Use

      MathJax can be found on websites as well as apps, platforms and desktop
      applications. In June 2011, there were close to 2000 domains using
      MathJax<http://www.mathjax.org/2011/06/14/news/mathjax-cdn-service-very-successful-2/>
      .

      http://www.mathjax.org/demos/tex-samples/

      MathJax community meetup at the Joint Mathematics Meetings 2013
      http://www.mathjax.org/2012/11/09/news/mathjax-community-meetup-at-the-joint-mathematics-meetings-2013/

      Regards,

      John

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2012
        "All browsers"? Patently false. It won't work on lynx, which my girlfriend uses as her primary browser, or w3m which I use when I'm working over ssh sessions.

        --- On Sat, 11/10/12, john saccuan <saccuan.john@...> wrote:
        > We can use MathJax...

        Mathematical expressions have been one of HTML weak-points since day 1, which is a shame if you consider the kinds of people who first worked on/with it. And so MathJax is nice in principle, certainly, but alas anything which makes more people more reliant on running 3rd party code on their machines whilst trying to, for example, read email I consider a bad thing. Sure, you may like to pretend that that javascript's stuck inside a safe little sandbox, history indicates that's not the case at all. And with XSS/XSRF being so trivial, even a sandbox won't help you, as the damage is all done from within that sandbox.

        I still think it's more important that we educate people to communicate mathematics clearly, than to communicate beautifully.

        Of course, there's a middle-ground - if everyone's fluent in *TeX, then everyone can communicate both in ASCII mail and on MathJax-enhanced blogs.

        Phil, also known as "Ned" on days like these