Re: [PrimeNumbers] Goldbach news

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
      --- On Tue, 10/2/12, Steven Harvey <harvey563@...> wrote:
      >  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Mathematician-solves-270-year-old-conjecture/articleshow/16635760.cms

      Interesting. However, I don't think people shouldn be announcing results unless preprints are available for independent review. ArXiv exists for a reason...

      I do approve of using approaches from different fields of mathematics, and that even if the proof is flawed that it shows some new insights. (Compare the topological proof of the infinitude of primes, for example.)

      Phil
    • Jens Kruse Andersen
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
        Steven Harvey wrote:
        > http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Mathematician-solves-270-year-old-conjecture/articleshow/16635760.cms

        " Mathematician and head of computer application department of Assam
        Engineering College Bichitra Kalita, has claimed to have solved the famous
        'Goldbach conjecture', one of the unsolved problems in mathematics, using a
        new technique called the graph theory."

        Kalita may have found an application of graph theory but the formulation
        sounds like the newspaper hasn't had their article reviewed by a
        mathematician. Graph theory predates Goldbachs 1742 conjecture.
        Euler's paper on the Seven Bridges of Königsberg is from 1736 and considered
        the first work on graph theory.

        "Kalita's research work "Graph and Goldbach Conjecture" has been accepted by
        the department of mathematics of University of Chemical Technology and
        Metallurgy in Sofia, Bulgaria in July this year."

        The only Google hit on "Graph and Goldbach Conjecture" is the newspaper
        article. I don't know Bulgarian.

        "The work will be published in the International Journal of Pure and Applied
        Mathematics, Kalita informed."

        Submitted or accepted? Does the newspaper even know the difference? They could
        have misquoted Kalita.
        According to
        http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Certain+forms+of+even+numbers+and+their+properties.-a0215842185
        Kalita already claimed to prove Goldbach's conjecture in 2006. The index at
        http://www.bpas.in/journals/maths/2006/vol2.pdf does say:
        "Bichitra Kalita
        PROOF OF GOLDBACH CONJECTURE AND RELATED CONJECTURES OF PRIME. 451-459"

        I haven't seen the paper. Google doesn't find any other mention of it, except
        the title in a long list of Indian science papers.

        --
        Jens Kruse Andersen