Goldbach news

  • Steven Harvey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
        --- On Tue, 10/2/12, Steven Harvey <harvey563@...> wrote:
        >  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Mathematician-solves-270-year-old-conjecture/articleshow/16635760.cms

        Interesting. However, I don't think people shouldn be announcing results unless preprints are available for independent review. ArXiv exists for a reason...

        I do approve of using approaches from different fields of mathematics, and that even if the proof is flawed that it shows some new insights. (Compare the topological proof of the infinitude of primes, for example.)

        Phil
      • Jens Kruse Andersen
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2012
          Steven Harvey wrote:
          > http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Mathematician-solves-270-year-old-conjecture/articleshow/16635760.cms

          " Mathematician and head of computer application department of Assam
          Engineering College Bichitra Kalita, has claimed to have solved the famous
          'Goldbach conjecture', one of the unsolved problems in mathematics, using a
          new technique called the graph theory."

          Kalita may have found an application of graph theory but the formulation
          sounds like the newspaper hasn't had their article reviewed by a
          mathematician. Graph theory predates Goldbachs 1742 conjecture.
          Euler's paper on the Seven Bridges of Königsberg is from 1736 and considered
          the first work on graph theory.

          "Kalita's research work "Graph and Goldbach Conjecture" has been accepted by
          the department of mathematics of University of Chemical Technology and
          Metallurgy in Sofia, Bulgaria in July this year."

          The only Google hit on "Graph and Goldbach Conjecture" is the newspaper
          article. I don't know Bulgarian.

          "The work will be published in the International Journal of Pure and Applied
          Mathematics, Kalita informed."

          Submitted or accepted? Does the newspaper even know the difference? They could
          have misquoted Kalita.
          According to
          http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Certain+forms+of+even+numbers+and+their+properties.-a0215842185
          Kalita already claimed to prove Goldbach's conjecture in 2006. The index at
          http://www.bpas.in/journals/maths/2006/vol2.pdf does say:
          "Bichitra Kalita
          PROOF OF GOLDBACH CONJECTURE AND RELATED CONJECTURES OF PRIME. 451-459"

          I haven't seen the paper. Google doesn't find any other mention of it, except
          the title in a long list of Indian science papers.

          --
          Jens Kruse Andersen