Re: [PrimeNumbers] news re ABC conjecture

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13 5:17 AM
      --- On Thu, 9/13/12, James Merickel <moralforce120@...> wrote:
      > Phil Carmody has suggested that there
      > are standard texts that are not pertinent in reference.

      Perhaps "pertinent" was too weak a word. "an essential or direct precursor" would have been better. For example, Jack pulled out the Fourier Transform one. IIRC, other ones which had a publishing date before the author's first paper caught my eye (Wiles?). There of course may be some relevance, some use, of such papers, but they're more for scene setting than anything else.