Re: [PrimeNumbers] binary digit frequency in primes

  • James Merickel
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2012
      Maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I believe that the infinitude in each relatively prime congruence class to a given modulus is all that Dirichlet proved.  Cursory internet search does not disconfirm this suspicion, but it may be wrong anyway.  In any case, it is true that each class is eventually arbitrarily proportionally close to the average, and the strongest form is Chebotarev's or some generalization few here could decipher (most likely, i think).  However, the distribution of digits in binary could still be biased out to infinity (though it seems unlikely).  The first bit could be biased only for so long, the second again only so long, etc.  One could ultimately have any kind of limiting behavior to all bits in primes and still have the Chebotarev Density Theorem (or Dirichlet's, if memory fails me; or whatever would be most appropriate to refer to for the natural numbers if Chebotarev's is too much but Dirichlet only proved as
      little as I remember).

      At any rate, I will give the results I had on specifics on Saturday.  I got caught up on something with my IQ=5*10 earlier today (YES, I REALLY HAD TWO PROGRAMS COUNTING THE FOUR ALLOWABLE CLASSES FOR BOTH OF MODULO 5 AND 10 (AND THEN I THOUGHT I HAD HAD MY NEW COMP HACKED BECAUSE THEY DID NOT GIVE THE SAME RESULTS (IMAGINE: 2 is not congruent to 7 modulo 10))).

      JIM M