Results of factoring algorithm

  • Kermit Rose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2012
      Here are a few test runs of my algorithm based on the observation that
      often a proper factor of (A+B) is equal to a proper factor of A + a
      proper factor of B.

      >>> SumOfDivisors(994133479,2*10**4,10**6)
      [8191, 121369, 400]

      >>> SumOfDivisors(994133479,2*10**4,10**5)
      [8191, 121369, 400]

      >>> SumOfDivisors(994133479,2*10**4,10**4)
      [8191, 121369, 400]

      >>> SumOfDivisors(994133479,2*10**4,10**3)
      [8191, 121369, 7413]

      The first parameter is the number to be factored.
      The second parameter is the number of partitions to consider before
      giving up.
      The third parameter is the maximum number to be used in partial
      factoring of partition elements.

      In the output, the first two components are the factors, and the third
      component is the number of partitions
      tried before a factor was found.

      Results are sensitive to both parameters. I do not have any theory for
      setting the size of the parameters.
      However I noted that the third parameter, if set too small, will require
      more partitions to be searched
      before finding the factors,
      but if the third parameter is set too large, it simply causes the
      algorithm to do unnecessary work.

      Kermit