Re: [PrimeNumbers] The history of the primality of one

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
      --- On Fri, 2/3/12, Paul Leyland wrote:
      > One is not a number in this linguistic sense and
      > English, in common with most other languages, distinguishes
      > between singular and plural in a way which is both fundamental and
      > pervasive.

      Fundamental, pervasive, and perverted.

      It is, after all, a language in which the singular 'thou' has
      been jetisoned for the plural 'you', and similarly the plural
      'they' adopted as a singular when trying to avoid mentioning
      gender. And we can't really decide whether we want companies
      or bands to be singular or plural - is Nokia going down the
      pan, or are Nokia going down the pan? (Which does seem to
      correlate strongly with pondianness.)

      Phil
      (who recently left a country where in "5 boys", "boys" is *not* plural?!?!)
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:

        > And we can't really decide whether we want companies
        > or bands to be singular or plural

        Is/are Manchester ******* United singular/plural?

        Meanwhile, back in the archives: on page 252 of
        http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31246.html
        Rouse Ball indicates that Mersenne may
        have condered 2^p - 1 to be prime for p = 1:

        "In the preface to the Cogitata a statement is made about
        perfect numbers, which implies that the only values of p not
        greater than 257 which make N prime, where N = 2^p - 1, are
        1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 13, 17, 19, 31, 67, 127, and 257.."

        However, Chris's students should check the original Latin for this.
        So far they are expected to be adept in Greek, Latin, Italian,
        German, French and English. Maybe Euler wrote something
        relevant in Russian:
        http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cJTkQxTvGa4C