Re: The history of the primality of one

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

      > V. A. Lebesgue designated 1 as prime on page 5 of his
      > 1859 textbook:
      > http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ea8WAAAAQAAJ

      Here is a thumbnail biography:
      http://www.les-mathematiques.net/phorum/read.php?17,323622

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
        --- On Fri, 2/3/12, Paul Leyland wrote:
        > One is not a number in this linguistic sense and
        > English, in common with most other languages, distinguishes
        > between singular and plural in a way which is both fundamental and
        > pervasive.

        Fundamental, pervasive, and perverted.

        It is, after all, a language in which the singular 'thou' has
        been jetisoned for the plural 'you', and similarly the plural
        'they' adopted as a singular when trying to avoid mentioning
        gender. And we can't really decide whether we want companies
        or bands to be singular or plural - is Nokia going down the
        pan, or are Nokia going down the pan? (Which does seem to
        correlate strongly with pondianness.)

        Phil
        (who recently left a country where in "5 boys", "boys" is *not* plural?!?!)
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
          Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:

          > And we can't really decide whether we want companies
          > or bands to be singular or plural

          Is/are Manchester ******* United singular/plural?

          Meanwhile, back in the archives: on page 252 of
          http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31246.html
          Rouse Ball indicates that Mersenne may
          have condered 2^p - 1 to be prime for p = 1:

          "In the preface to the Cogitata a statement is made about
          perfect numbers, which implies that the only values of p not
          greater than 257 which make N prime, where N = 2^p - 1, are
          1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 13, 17, 19, 31, 67, 127, and 257.."

          However, Chris's students should check the original Latin for this.
          So far they are expected to be adept in Greek, Latin, Italian,
          German, French and English. Maybe Euler wrote something
          relevant in Russian:
          http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cJTkQxTvGa4C