Re: The history of the primality of one

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Chris Caldwell <caldwell@...> wrote:

      > For Goldbach, Lebesgue, and Lehmer, it was a prime.

      V. A. Lebesgue designated 1 as prime on page 5 of his
      1859 textbook:
      http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ea8WAAAAQAAJ

      He is not to be confused with Henri Lebesque,
      who was not born until 1875.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
        "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

        > V. A. Lebesgue designated 1 as prime on page 5 of his
        > 1859 textbook:
        > http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ea8WAAAAQAAJ

        Here is a thumbnail biography:
        http://www.les-mathematiques.net/phorum/read.php?17,323622

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
          --- On Fri, 2/3/12, Paul Leyland wrote:
          > One is not a number in this linguistic sense and
          > English, in common with most other languages, distinguishes
          > between singular and plural in a way which is both fundamental and
          > pervasive.

          Fundamental, pervasive, and perverted.

          It is, after all, a language in which the singular 'thou' has
          been jetisoned for the plural 'you', and similarly the plural
          'they' adopted as a singular when trying to avoid mentioning
          gender. And we can't really decide whether we want companies
          or bands to be singular or plural - is Nokia going down the
          pan, or are Nokia going down the pan? (Which does seem to
          correlate strongly with pondianness.)

          Phil
          (who recently left a country where in "5 boys", "boys" is *not* plural?!?!)
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2012
            Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:

            > And we can't really decide whether we want companies
            > or bands to be singular or plural

            Is/are Manchester ******* United singular/plural?

            Meanwhile, back in the archives: on page 252 of
            http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31246.html
            Rouse Ball indicates that Mersenne may
            have condered 2^p - 1 to be prime for p = 1:

            "In the preface to the Cogitata a statement is made about
            perfect numbers, which implies that the only values of p not
            greater than 257 which make N prime, where N = 2^p - 1, are
            1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 13, 17, 19, 31, 67, 127, and 257.."

            However, Chris's students should check the original Latin for this.
            So far they are expected to be adept in Greek, Latin, Italian,
            German, French and English. Maybe Euler wrote something
            relevant in Russian:
            http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cJTkQxTvGa4C