Re: [PrimeNumbers] double-->single divide?

  • Warren Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2012
      sorry, I'm not much of a programmer. Last question re multiply, got a nice
      answer from Brennan saying how to within C program, to call the assembler
      to do the job.

      I assume there is similar answer here.

      You did that, but did not explain how to do it in C. In C you need to
      speak both C and assembler and understand how to get them to talk, but yes.

      Really if the C compiler writers had a smidgen of brains, they'd have
      supplied a hook so that everybody could easily do these things without
      needing to deal with assembler themselves.

    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2012
        > how do we do it using hardware?

        What kind of hardware would you like to use? It's pretty easy to do it
        with almost any FPGA but if you want an ASIC it's likely to cost you
        serious money. It's also pretty easy to do with an abacus and an
        instruction manual, but likely to be rather slow.

        In other words, what's your real question?

        Paul