Re: [PrimeNumbers] puzzle

  • Maximilian Hasler
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 9, 2011
      On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Jack Brennen <jfb@...> wrote:

      >> ? vector(9,x,3*x^2-20*x+74)
      >> [57, 46, 41, 42, 49, 62, 81, 106, 137]
      >

      > It looks like it's just the quadratic 3*x^2-20*x+74.

      I agree - the two sequences coincide.
      And I admit that the quadratic is a simpler description,
      but since I had my ggf() at hand, I found the other before.

      Maximilian
    • Robin Garcia
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 9, 2011
        The values you give seem to be correct, but the polynomials wrong:

        ? for(x=2,20, print(f(x)))
        103
        87/2
        247/9
        641/32
        1971/125
        13
        3793/343
        2463/256
        2069/243
        1909/250
        9213/1331
        1823/288
        12811/2197
        1854/343
        1889/375
        9659/2048
        21783/4913
        2033/486
        27157/6859

      • Robin Garcia
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 9, 2011
          Ok, but now can anybody tell where the idea came from ,or in other words, what do these numbers originally pretend to represent ?

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 9, 2011
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Robin Garcia <sopadeajo2001@...> wrote:

            > Ok, but now can anybody tell where the idea came from ,or in other words, what do these numbers originally pretend to represent ?

            The worst case scenario is that the original number sequence came from someone's high school homework assignment. :)
          • Robin Garcia
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 9, 2011
              "The worst case scenario is that the original number sequence came from someone's high school homework assignment. :)"

              Well, yes the level is not a high level. What i mean is the polinomial fits  pretty well, but originally i was thinking
              in a base b and numbers  b^2+(b-2^2)^2+(b-3^2)^2.  Nothing very hard, but for b=10 you get 10^2+6^2+1^2=137,
              which obsesses so much David.  It was just fun for me.