Proof of Goldbach's Conjecture - Take Two

  • Dick Boland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
      Hello all,If you have trouble with the attachment, I will be posting a copy in Primeform's file areaIf you like the proof, please respond to the list with an affirmation, otherwise, please email me with questions or to point out any flawsThanks,Dick Boland

    • Dick Boland
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
        Hello,

        Regarding my proof of Goldbach's Conjecture,

        I had some trouble with the pictures in HTML as an attachment.

        You may also view my proof at http://www.geocities.com/richard042/

        Please support the further research efforts of my foundation

        by spreading the good news about this major discovery.

        -Dick Boland

      • Paul Leyland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
          I've not yet had chance to check your proof on your web page, but the
          following two sentences caught my eye.

          > I am claiming exclusive worldwide patent rights on the algorithm,
          > and all of the fruits of the algorithm in my name.

          Too late. In virtually the entire world, you have to apply for patents
          *before* you make the invention public. I believe the US converted to this
          approach recently, but may be wrong. If I am wrong, you now have one year
          to file a pattent in the US. If you get it, it won't be valid anywhere
          else.

          > I am claiming exclusive worldwide copyright on my proof and
          > all information contained herein and in the document sss.doc
          > posted in Primeform's file area on 12/17/00.

          You don't have to claim copyright. Any document is born copyrighted and
          remains that way for a very long time, typically > 75 years. About all you
          can do with copyright is transfer it to someone else! Further, you can't
          copyright an idea (a proof in this case) only a particular expression of it.
          There could be an argument over whether a different representation of the
          same idea is a "derived work" or not, but that's an argument that only
          lawyers tend to win.

          I hope your grasp of math is better than your knowledge of intellectual
          property law. I'll be taking a look.

          Paul
        • Bill Krys
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2001
            These 2 statements caught my eye too.

            you can't claim patent rights without registration and
            then they are granted to you.

            Also, Paul is right that most countries in the world
            are absolute novelty jurisdictions, meaning you may
            not publicize it before applying for a patent.

            Canada and the U.S. were in 1999, when I was articling
            in an IP office in Canada, relative novelty
            jurisdictions, meaning you and only you may apply for
            a patent within 1 year of publication.

            Most importantly, you CANNOT patent a formula,
            algorithm mathematical or scientific law etc.

            Copyright only protects the expression of the idea not
            the idea itself and for living persons (not
            corporations) typically lasts 70 years after the last
            day of the year of death.

            Bill

            --- Paul Leyland <pleyland@...> wrote:
            > I've not yet had chance to check your proof on your
            > web page, but the
            > following two sentences caught my eye.
            >
            > > I am claiming exclusive worldwide patent rights on
            > the algorithm,
            > > and all of the fruits of the algorithm in my name.
            >
            > Too late. In virtually the entire world, you have
            > to apply for patents
            > *before* you make the invention public. I believe
            > the US converted to this
            > approach recently, but may be wrong. If I am
            > wrong, you now have one year
            > to file a pattent in the US. If you get it, it
            > won't be valid anywhere
            > else.
            >
            > > I am claiming exclusive worldwide copyright on my
            > proof and
            > > all information contained herein and in the
            > document sss.doc
            > > posted in Primeform's file area on 12/17/00.
            >
            > You don't have to claim copyright. Any document is
            > born copyrighted and
            > remains that way for a very long time, typically >
            > 75 years. About all you
            > can do with copyright is transfer it to someone
            > else! Further, you can't
            > copyright an idea (a proof in this case) only a
            > particular expression of it.
            > There could be an argument over whether a different
            > representation of the
            > same idea is a "derived work" or not, but that's an
            > argument that only
            > lawyers tend to win.
            >

            > I hope your grasp of math is better than your
            > knowledge of intellectual
            > property law. I'll be taking a look.
            >

            > Paul

            =====
            Refining my sieve into a simple, non-stochastic algorithm

            Bill Krys
            Email: billkrys@...
            Toronto, Canada (currently: Beijing, China)

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • Bill Krys
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
              Dick,

              may I get a copy of your proof. I cannot acces your
              webpage after several attempts.

              Bill

              =====

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
                Hi Bill,

                Perhaps Milton was having the same trouble.
                It is rather large (1meg+) with the pictures
                included. There is my first version with all my
                claims and less info on the twin prime Conjecture
                in the file area of Primeform. It is an email
                archive file called Goldbach.mht

                http://www.egroups.com - Primeform group
                files area, directory is "Proof of Goldbach's
                Conjecture", file Goldbach.mht. Please try that
                first and if that's no good, I'll try to come up
                with an "emailable" attachment.

                Thanks,

                Dick Boland

                http://photos.yahoo.com/