ordinal number of prime number

  • Mahmoud Hafiane
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5 2:20 AM
      I joined just to inform you that I can calcolate ordinal number of a prime number.. did someone had done it before?. do you consider this kind of calculation important ?
      about my claim I affirm that my tecnica to calcolate the ordinal number of a prime number could be considered an empty tautology.. because I calcolate what I know before.. but what is to be considered is that tecnica makes all prime numbers chianed and connected ... exemple to calcolate the ordinal number of 7 in the series of prime numbers I should know a calculation of two chains of numbers..7 is the forth in the order of prime numbers .. but how can we find 4?.. it seems simple isn't.

    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5 6:07 PM
        Some Greek chap from long ago worked out a way, but I suppose there are others.

        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Mahmoud Hafiane <mahmoudhafiane@...> wrote:

        > I joined just to inform you that I can calcolate ordinal number of a prime number.. did someone had done it before?. do you consider this kind of calculation important ?
        > about my claim I affirm that my tecnica to calcolate the ordinal number of a prime number could be considered an empty tautology.. because I calcolate what I know before.. but what is to be considered is that tecnica makes all prime numbers chianed and connected ... exemple to calcolate the ordinal number of 7 in the series of prime numbers I should know a calculation of two chains of numbers..7 is the forth in the order of prime numbers .. but how can we find 4?.. it seems simple isn't.

      • James Merickel
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5 6:16 PM
          I sent him the wikipedia article link. It isn't too difficult to surprise oneself with a pretty good rudimentary approach along lines of the inclusion-exclusion principle, though it won't match best current methods and results (with, I believe, a similar basis).
          Jim