Puzzle for foreshadowing modular arithmetic

  • Kermit Rose
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2011
      Hello everyone.

      Last month I made up the following problems, intending that they
      give some students a head start on the concept of modular arithmetic.

      If 17 were equal to zero, what positive integer less than 17

      would be equal to 1/2?

      If 17 were equal to zero, what positive integer less than 17

      would be equal to 1/5?

      If 16 were equal to zero, what positive integer less than 16

      would be equal to 1/5?

      Kermit
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2011
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        Kermit Rose <kermit@...> wrote:

        > If 17 were equal to zero, what positive integer less than 17
        > would be equal to 1/2?
        > If 17 were equal to zero, what positive integer less than 17
        > would be equal to 1/5?
        > If 16 were equal to zero, what positive integer less than 16
        > would be equal to 1/5?

        print([(1/2)%17,(1/5)%17,(1/5)%16])
        [9, 7, 13]