Re: Primo for multi-core Gnu/Linux

  • paulunderwooduk
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2011
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <n.luhn@...> wrote:

      > For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works fine.
      > A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
      > I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the power law x=4..5 is the same.
      >
      > Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.
      >
      > Norman

      I have just tested (2^3539+1)/3 :
      http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=54344

      With "Max concurrent tasks" set to 4 it proved the number prime in 722 seconds. I notice that CPU usage was light... so I tried again with the setting at 8, but the time was longer at 750 seconds. Phase 2 is CPU intensive!

      Paul

      > ________________________________

    • Nathan Russell
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2011
        I'm currently uing it to test the first unproven n!6-2 number, which I hope
        to take about a day on my dual core laptop.

        Nathan

        On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM, paulunderwooduk <paulunderwood@...
        > wrote:

        > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <n.luhn@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works
        > fine.�
        >
        > > A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
        > > I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the
        > power law x=4..5 is the same.
        > >
        > > Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.
        > >
        > > Norman�
        > >

        > I have just tested (2^3539+1)/3 :
        > http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=54344
        >
        > With "Max concurrent tasks" set to 4 it proved the number prime in 722
        > seconds. I notice that CPU usage was light... so I tried again with the
        > setting at 8, but the time was longer at 750 seconds. Phase 2 is CPU
        > intensive!
        >
        > Paul

      • Nathan Russell
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2011

          > Has anyone experimented with the "trial division bound", or found rules of
          > thumb for setting it?

          Nathan