Re: [PrimeNumbers] Primo for multi-core Gnu/Linux

  • Norman Luhn
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2011
      For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works fine.
      A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
      I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the power law x=4..5 is the same.

      Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.

      Norman

      ________________________________
      I have just now seen that there is an "alpha" version of Primo for linux which supports multi-core computers. I hope to see some results using this program soon ;-)

      May 9, 2011 http://www.ellipsa.eu/

      Paul

    • paulunderwooduk
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2011
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <n.luhn@...> wrote:

        > For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works fine.
        > A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
        > I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the power law x=4..5 is the same.
        >
        > Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.
        >
        > Norman

        I have just tested (2^3539+1)/3 :
        http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=54344

        With "Max concurrent tasks" set to 4 it proved the number prime in 722 seconds. I notice that CPU usage was light... so I tried again with the setting at 8, but the time was longer at 750 seconds. Phase 2 is CPU intensive!

        Paul

        > ________________________________

      • Nathan Russell
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2011
          I'm currently uing it to test the first unproven n!6-2 number, which I hope
          to take about a day on my dual core laptop.

          Nathan

          On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM, paulunderwooduk <paulunderwood@...
          > wrote:

          > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <n.luhn@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works
          > fine.�
          >
          > > A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
          > > I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the
          > power law x=4..5 is the same.
          > >
          > > Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.
          > >
          > > Norman�
          > >

          > I have just tested (2^3539+1)/3 :
          > http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=54344
          >
          > With "Max concurrent tasks" set to 4 it proved the number prime in 722
          > seconds. I notice that CPU usage was light... so I tried again with the
          > setting at 8, but the time was longer at 750 seconds. Phase 2 is CPU
          > intensive!
          >
          > Paul

        • Nathan Russell
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2011

            > Has anyone experimented with the "trial division bound", or found rules of
            > thumb for setting it?

            Nathan