Primo for multi-core Gnu/Linux

  • paulunderwooduk
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2011
      Hi,

      I have just now seen that there is an "alpha" version of Primo for linux which supports multi-core computers. I hope to see some results using this program soon ;-)

      May 9, 2011 http://www.ellipsa.eu/

      Paul
    • Norman Luhn
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2011
        For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works fine.
        A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
        I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the power law x=4..5 is the same.

        Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.

        Norman

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2011
          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <n.luhn@...> wrote:

          > For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works fine.
          > A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
          > I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the power law x=4..5 is the same.
          >
          > Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.
          >
          > Norman

          I have just tested (2^3539+1)/3 :
          http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=54344

          With "Max concurrent tasks" set to 4 it proved the number prime in 722 seconds. I notice that CPU usage was light... so I tried again with the setting at 8, but the time was longer at 750 seconds. Phase 2 is CPU intensive!

          Paul

          > ________________________________

        • Nathan Russell
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2011
            I'm currently uing it to test the first unproven n!6-2 number, which I hope
            to take about a day on my dual core laptop.

            Nathan

            On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM, paulunderwooduk <paulunderwood@...
            > wrote:

            > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <n.luhn@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > For testing , I had have install UBUNTU 11 on a seperate HDD . It works
            > fine.�
            >
            > > A 2000 digit number was done in 45 min. A 1000 digit 5 min.
            > > I think it is 4-6 times ( using 6 cores ) faster than v3.09, but the
            > power law x=4..5 is the same.
            > >
            > > Unfortunately , there don't exist a windows version.
            > >
            > > Norman�
            > >

            > I have just tested (2^3539+1)/3 :
            > http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=54344
            >
            > With "Max concurrent tasks" set to 4 it proved the number prime in 722
            > seconds. I notice that CPU usage was light... so I tried again with the
            > setting at 8, but the time was longer at 750 seconds. Phase 2 is CPU
            > intensive!
            >
            > Paul

          • Nathan Russell
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2011

              > Has anyone experimented with the "trial division bound", or found rules of
              > thumb for setting it?

              Nathan