Re: PFGW 3.4.5 has been released

  • paulunderwooduk
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2011

      > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      > Mark Rodenkirch <mgrogue@> wrote:
      >
      > > 2) Fixed memory leaks in 64-bit builds
      >
      > Thanks, Mark. This had been a problem, with long NewPGen files.

      I find the new pfgw64 has the same behavior as before: reading 300MB files of k*2371#+1 requires a cron job every 6 hours to run a script to killall pfgw64 and restart pfgw64; otherwise the ram gets overloaded on this example 2GB 6 core machine,

      Paul
    • Mark Rodenkirch
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2011
        On Feb 15, 2011, at 6:38 PM, paulunderwooduk wrote:

        > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "djbroadhurst"
        > <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        > > Mark Rodenkirch <mgrogue@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > 2) Fixed memory leaks in 64-bit builds
        > >
        > > Thanks, Mark. This had been a problem, with long NewPGen files.
        > >

        > I find the new pfgw64 has the same behavior as before: reading 300MB
        > files of k*2371#+1 requires a cron job every 6 hours to run a script
        > to killall pfgw64 and restart pfgw64; otherwise the ram gets
        > overloaded on this example 2GB 6 core machine,
        >
        > Paul

        The bug fix I found and fixed happened when using -f. This is
        apparently a different problem. Could you zip if your file (or part
        of your file) and e-mail it to me?

        --Mark

      • j_chrtn
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Rodenkirch <mgrogue@...> wrote:

          > I have finished up changes for PFGW 3.4.5. Here is a list of changes:
          >
          > 1) Updated to gwnum v26.5
          > 2) Fixed memory leaks in 64-bit builds
          > 3) Fixed other known memory leaks
          > 4) Fixed assertion failure in Win64 builds
          > 5) Fix ^C on *nix so that it writes a checkpoint before shutting down.
          > 6) Disallow use of "pfgw.log" and "pfgw.ini" as input files.
          >
          > I'm not certain that all of the versions (Windows, MacIntel, and
          > Linux) uploaded correctly, so if you run into a problem, please let me
          > know.
          >
          > --Mark

          Freshly released, immediately used! ;-)

          I've just switched my pfgw64.exe to this new version and everything is ok now with -f on Windows. The memory usage is very stable.

          Thank you again Mark for your great job.

          J-L
        • mgrogue@wi.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16, 2011
            ---- j_chrtn <j_chrtn@...> wrote:
            > Freshly released, immediately used! ;-)
            >
            > I've just switched my pfgw64.exe to this new version and everything is ok now with -f on Windows. The memory usage is very stable.
            >
            > Thank you again Mark for your great job.

            You're welcome. Next up, Paul's memory leak, which appears to be a bit harder.

            --Mark
          • mgrogue@wi.rr.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 18, 2011
              > You're welcome. Next up, Paul's memory leak, which appears to be a bit harder.
              >
              > --Mark

              I just wanted to give everyone an update on Paul's memory leak issue. I have run tests on both Windows and MacIntel and cannot reproduce the problem with his input file. Paul provided me some valgrind output from his system. The valgrind output said that it didn't not detect any memory leaks, but the output did show memory that had not been freed. That memory was associated with system objects, i.e. objects that are not directly allocated and freed by pfgw. Upon further investigation, it appears to be an issue with the Debian garbage collector (google has a number of links about this) and not pfgw. Paul is satisfied with my conclusion.

              If anyone else is seeing memory leaks with pfgw, please let me know.

              --Mark