Accounting and Prime Numbers

  • mgmutch
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2011
      Why don't accountants use prime numbers to keep track of items?... it would be perfect because the items would be indivisible.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
        "mgmutch" <mgmutch@...> wrote:

        > Why don't accountants use prime numbers to keep track of items?
        > ... it would be perfect because the items would be indivisible.

        When I last looked, 2 was a prime. Are accountants so incompetent
        that they cannot divide things into halves? Or thirds? Perhaps so?

        No integer is indivisible.
        The two least divisible integers are the units, +1 and -1,
        which are divisible only by +1 and -1.
        The most divisible integer is, of course, 0,
        which is divisible by every non-zero integer.