Re: Prime chains x-->Ax+B [puzzle 2]

    Message 1 of 143 , Jan 3, 2011
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Kevin Acres <research@...> wrote:

      > You'll see why I'm thinking of bringing in some liquid nitrogen
      > to cool down the cpu when this search is finished :-)

      Indeed. I hope you are not yet under water in OZ.

      > [14, 46, 9.85]
      > [15, 4, 11.5]

      4 instances of 15/16 are too small to conclude much;
      how may 14's produced your 18+ cases of 15/16?

      Message 143 of 143 , Jan 7, 2011
        Kevin Acres <research@...> wrote:

        > x=a*x+b either is a square or has a square as a major factor.

        Suppose that we want to start with a square and get a square.
        Then we must solve the Diophantine equation
        y^2 = a*x^2 + b

        For any pair (a,b), Dario will tell us all the solutions:
        http://www.alpertron.com.ar/QUAD.HTM