Re: Prime chains x-->Ax+B [puzzle 2]

    Message 1 of 143 , Jan 2, 2011
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Acres <research@...> wrote:

      > after now having found 17 15/16 chains, should
      > I reasonably be expecting a 16/16 some time soon?

      Suppose that you guessed a 1/9 chance. Then the odds
      of /not/ getting a result after 17 tries are
      exp(-17/9) =~ 15%

      Message 143 of 143 , Jan 7, 2011
        Kevin Acres <research@...> wrote:

        > x=a*x+b either is a square or has a square as a major factor.

        Suppose that we want to start with a square and get a square.
        Then we must solve the Diophantine equation
        y^2 = a*x^2 + b

        For any pair (a,b), Dario will tell us all the solutions:
        http://www.alpertron.com.ar/QUAD.HTM