Yet another prime number generator algorithm

  • whygee@f-cpu.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
      Hello group,

      I know I shouldn't write under the influence of the excitment.
      However I can't resist the urge to share a good news !

      In July, Steve Maddox shared with us his observations about
      some prime number generation patterns. He put them there too :
      http://sites.google.com/site/primepatterns/

      I finally found the time to dig further and
      it took only 2 hours to modify my own algorithm (already
      published 1 year ago and available as JavaScript at
      http://ygdes.com/sources/premiers.html ) to take Steve's
      remarks into account. And it works nicely !

      Why is it so exciting ? After all this family of algo has a terrible
      memory efficiency and it will never beat a good sieve.
      The point is : I believe that it is the last element
      that I needed to finish the proof of the twin primes conjecture.
      The article that I published in nov. 2009 has interesting
      points (see
      http://www.unixgarden.com/index.php/programmation/un-algorithme-additif-et-iteratif-pour-construire-les-nombres-premiers
      )
      but it does not contain a satisfying, definitive demonstration.
      With Steve's interesting remarks, the last objections disappear !
      And there is not a single floating point computation,
      only adds and multiplies on natural numbers.

      I am writing a new online article, this time in english,
      about the demonstration. The demonstration method (by construction)
      is almost the same as in the french article but this new
      improved algorithm makes some points much more obvious.
      I wish to have the first draft within one week so everybody
      can comment.

      Oh, and happy new year everybody !

      YG
    • Norman Luhn
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
        Happy new PrImE-year 2011 everybody !

        I hope this is more successful than 2010.

        Best wishes

        Norman

      • paulunderwooduk
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Norman Luhn <nluhn@...> wrote:

          > Happy new PrImE-year 2011 everybody !
          >
          > I hope this is more successful than 2010.
          >
          > Best wishes
          >
          > Norman

          HNY

          http://primes.utm.edu/curios/page.php?short=2011

          Can you solve, by hand:

          "Two thousand "eleven" is the sum of 11 consecutive primes. Can you find them?"

          Paul
        • John
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20 10:07 AM
            Paul,

            I have not been here for ages.

            Pray, do not mock me.
            I am a very foolish fond old man,
            Three score and eleven, a few weeks more or less;
            And, to deal plainly,
            I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

            King Lear

            Which during the last six months has been true for me, but with each passing week becomes less and less. The quote is cribbed from a scholar who appears regularly on this group, but a little bit of plagiarism goes a long way.

            This post is not really about Lear, but old age brings with it certain joys, definitely not physical, and few are mental, as the forgettery starts to take over, but they are there. One can sit and look at life again. This second childhood thing is what it is. Old age has a beautiful symmetry with childhood. Back to the future and forward to the past.

            Enough ruminating. Ad Rem! as my wife keeps telling me, (if she understood Greek).

            The first of the eleven primes is 157, and the last is 211, which is fitting.

            My first assay into prime numbers was the discovery of a lovely series -1,1,5,11,19,29,41,55,71,89,109,131,155,181,209.

            the rogue is 155, because it is not prime or is not a composite exclusively of earlier numbers in the series, but is 2 less than the 157 above, and 211 is two greater than the last of the above.

            Pray, do not put, in the great widely used slang term used widely in Australia (origin of the term unknown unless it was the Bard), put the mockers on me.

            In Dotage,

            John