Re: Primes in the intervals

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2010
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      <chitatel2000@...> wrote:

      > You're trying hard to prove, based on its average gap that
      > my average gap is wrong.

      Application of the prime number theorem to determine the
      average gap between primes in the interval [p[n]^2, p[n+1]^2]
      is valid, for large values of the n-th prime p[n], since
      the numbers in this range differ little in their relative size.
      The average gap is asymptotic to g = log(p[n]) + log(p[n+1])

      > Even the preliminary calculations for the interval
      > [P_n ^ 2, P_ (n 1) ^ 2] show that the error increases,
      > but at certain points it returns to the minimum error.

      You have fallen into a trap:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_small_numbers
      "Hasty generalization, a logical fallacy also known as
      'the law of small numbers': the tendency for an initial
      segment of data to show some bias that drops out later."

      You have blinded yourself by looking only at tiny primes.

      Asymptotically, your estimate is hopelessly wrong.
      In the range [p[n]^2, p[n+1]^2] between the squares of the
      successive primes p[n] = 10^1000 - 1769 and
      p[n+1] = 10^1000 + 453 the average gap between primes is
      well estimated by the prime number theorem as
      g =~ 2000*log(10) =~ 4605.
      Your faulty estimate would be smaller, namely
      exp(Euler)*1000*log(10) =~ 4101.
      Hence you would overestimate the quantity of primes Q,
      in this range, by the huge error that I computed for you:
      > E =~ 2*exp(-Euler)*Q - Q =~ 1.19*10^999

      Please do not blind yourself by looking only at tiny primes.