Re: T-Sequence faster than APRT-CLE

  • Aldrich
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 27, 2010
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "leavemsg1" <leavemsg1@...> wrote:

      > it's much faster than the APRT-CLE algorithm when searching for
      > primality.

      Hi Bill

      What does fast mean? How many primes per second, on average,
      on your computer, does your program find in the vicinity of
      10^16, 10^26 and 10^36?

      Aldrich
    • Chris Caldwell
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 27, 2010
        > When I was a graduate student of physics at the University of Texas:
        as late as 2000 our department of
        > computational relativity STILL used Fortran to do all its calculations
        of colliding neutron stars!

        As an undergraduate I learned Fortran, Compass, and had a course in
        Algol, because "it is the language of the future!" My first course in
        High School was IBM 360 Assembly Language (because the school district
        had one--that was the year before we got the PDP 1 and switched to basic
        on paper tape). Those I knew still using Fortran a few years ago were
        doing so because of the parallelized libraries useful on the massively
        paralyzed super computers. Sometimes you write in the language used
        locally, rather than what you want (e.g., 360 Assembly, Compass, ...).