Re: "wriggly" pseudoprime puzzle

    Message 1 of 50 , Sep 5, 2010
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

      > 1. p is an odd positive integer
      > 2. a is an integer with kronecker(a,p) = -1
      > 3. a^((p-1)/2) = -1 mod p
      > 5. Mod(1+x,x^2-a)^p = 1-x mod p

      > Puzzle: Find a pseudoprime, p,
      > with a false witness, a,
      > that fools (1), (2), (3), (5) and has
      > znorder(Mod(a,p)) > 3414.

      Comment: The gremlins can generate false witnesses
      for this puzzle at a rate in excess of 50 kHz,
      finding more than 600,000,000 in less than 3 hours.

      Hint: All of these false witnesses fail my gremlin-trap:

      Message 50 of 50 , Sep 29, 2011
        "bhelmes_1" <bhelmes@...> wrote:

        > 1. let a jacobi (a, p)=-1
        > 2. let a^(p-1)/2 = -1 mod p
        > 3. a^6 =/= 1 mod p
        > 4. (1+sqrt (a))^p = 1-sqrt (a)

        [4] is meaningless, as it stands.
        You should write a double mod:

        4. (1+x)^p = 1-x mod(x^2-a,p)

        > 1. Is it possible that there are other exceptions

        There is no reason whatsoever to believe that
        [1] to [4] establish that p is prime. Morevoer,
        some folk believe that, for every epsilon > 0,
        the number of pseudoprimes less than x may
        exceed x^(1-epsilon), for /sufficiently/ large x.

        > 2....
        > there is a cyclic order ...

        > 3....
        > there is a cyclic order ...

        The group of units (Z/nZ)* is /not/ cyclic
        if n has at least two distinct odd prime fators.