The Squaring of Twin Primes

  • w_sindelar@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2010
      Jack Brennen wrote;
      "Don't you mean that A and B are the larger members of those twin prime
      pairs?"

      Yes, Jack that is what I meant. I mixed them up when I wrote the post. Thank you for correcting me and also for why the rightmost digit must always be 1.
      Tom Hadley wrote:
      "Jack wrote:
      For any X of the form X = 6*k+/-1, note that (5*X^2-1)/4 will be of the
      form 6*m+1, so it can never be the smaller member of a twin prime pair.
      Here's how one would go about determining this:"
      Thank you Tom for your neat explanation. It seems so obvious now, but the fact that A and B will always be large twins with rightmost digits equal to 1 had me stumped.
      Bill Sindelar