RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Easy formula for next prime... cant make it any easier.

  • Matteo Mattsteel Vitturi
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
      Peter,

      > > Folks out there including yourself and Lelio don't seem to understand

      > > that 6n+/-1 represents ALL integers that are not multiples of 3, so of

      > > course every single prime to infinity is either 6n+1, or 6n-1,

      > Wrong. 6n+/-1 represents all -odd- integers not divisible by 3 and,

      > consequently, it represents all primes with the exception of 2 and 3. This

      > is where it differs from your form 3n+2+4, which guarantees the "not

      > divisible by 3" condition, but not the "is odd" one.

      I don't thing i understand very well what you're saying about 6n+/-1 that should represent all primes.
      When n=20 then 6n-1=119 and 6n+1=121 and both aren't primes since 121 is 11x11 and 119 is 7x17.

      Matteo.

    • Peter Kosinar
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
        Matteo,

        > > Wrong. 6n+/-1 represents all -odd- integers not divisible by 3 and,
        > > consequently, it represents all primes with the exception of 2 and 3. This
        > > is where it differs from your form 3n+2+4, which guarantees the "not
        > > divisible by 3" condition, but not the "is odd" one.
        >
        > I don't thing i understand very well what you're saying about 6n+/-1 that
        > should represent all primes.

        An expression (e.g. 2n+1) represents a set S if every number from set S
        can be written in the form prescribed by the expression. It's not
        necessary for all the numbers of that form to belong to set S.

        For example, the form 2n+1 represents all odd integers. Thus, it can also
        be used to represent each and every odd prime, odd square or odd perfect
        number -- since all of these are just subsets of the set of odd numbers.

        Peter
      • Martin Aaronson
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
          Peter Thanks for your comment. I admit I am wrong technically in that since
          2 is the only even prime, I usually skirt around that issue by always
          prefacing my remarks by stating ³in the set of odd numbers only,² which I
          neglected to do in this case. I do that because prime 2 always obfuscates
          the issue, as it is doing in this very instance. Thanks for your interest.
          Marty

          From: Matteo Mattsteel Vitturi <mattsteel@...>
          Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 23:25:54 +0200
          To: <primenumbers@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Easy formula for next prime... cant make it
          any easier.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
            Peter Thanks for your comment. I admit I am technically wrong in that
            since 2 is the only even prime, I usually skirt around that special case by
            always prefacing my remarks with ³in the set of odd numbers only,² which
            I neglected to do, much to my regret since I am getting flak from around
            the world. I do that because prime 2 always obfuscates the issue, as it is
            doing in this very instance.
            So, to correct, the locus for ALL primes except 2 is 6n+1 or 6n-1,
            which of course is not to say that all 6n+-1 are prime. Another way to
            define 6n+-1 is 3n+2+4, where both are one and the same. The distinction I
            am making is that 3n+2+4 is descriptive (to me) of all non-multiples >3 to
            infinty, while 6n+-1, makes it appear that there is something profound and
            revealing about this infinite set when in fact it has been staring us in the
            face from the very outset as 3n+2+4. If you look at in this light, it will
            all come together. Thus, the search for a pattern in 6n+1-1 is all in vain.
            A list of prime numbers (go primes.utm.edu ) has provided this information
            forever. Thanks for your interest. Regards. Marty

            From: Peter Kosinar <goober@...>
            Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 00:08:38 +0200 (CEST)
            To: Matteo Mattsteel Vitturi <mattsteel@...>
            Cc: <primenumbers@yahoogroups.com>