Re: GIFFS

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Cris Stringfellow <cris.stringfellow@...> wrote:

      > it is meant to be a collaborative effort to find a
      > new factorization algorithm.
      > Don't know if it's going to work

      I do not think that it will work. Some of the smartest
      individuals on planet Earth have thought, long and hard,
      about factorization and our current algorithms derive from
      their earnest endeavours. Simply announcing the proposal of
      a glorified internet "think-tank" is rather unlikely to add
      new gems, in my opinion. The internet is a great place to
      instantiate existing ideas. New ideas are more often
      developed in private, by methods of thought known only to
      their inspired inventors (and sometimes not even by them).
      Then they are meticulously published, for peer review by
      other experts, who kick themselves for "not having thought
      about that".

      I should be glad to proved wrong; yet the prospects are meagre.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2010
        "djbroadhurst" <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

        > New ideas are more often developed in private, by methods
        > of thought known only to their inspired inventors
        > (and sometimes not even by them).
        > Then they are meticulously published, for peer review by
        > other experts, who kick themselves for "not having thought
        > about that".

        I have now found the quote that was ringing in my mind.
        It was, of course, Huxley on Darwin:

        http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/02/2/l_022_09.html
        "How extremely stupid not to have thought of that!"

        David (even more stupid than Huxley :-)