Re: {Spam?} RE: [PrimeNumbers] RSA Challenge Numbers and my inovative method of factoring

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
      On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 07:51 -0500, Chris Caldwell wrote:

      > > Analysis of the last four solutions of the RSA numbers: 200, 576,
      > 640
      > and 768. Additional material validating my approach and an
      > > open challenge to the group to critique and comment. Next an attack
      > on
      > RSA-704. Methodly previosly posted, I think.
      >
      > This is not a group focused on factoring, but if one really had a good
      > way to factor there is an obvious choice: find the Cunningham
      > Factorization Project and start factoring some of their thousands of
      > unfactored numbers. All of the big players in factorization are active
      > there. There you can go head to head against the number field sieve,
      > the
      > elliptic curve factoring routines, pollard rho, ...
      >
      > CC

      I seem to be missing something. Context, to be precise. Could someone
      point me to the 'methodly previosly posted'[sic]?

      A minor correction: there are now fewer than a thousand unfactored
      numbers in the current Cunningham tables. Still plenty to go round but
      they have been dropping like flies over the last few months.

      Another place the factoring crowd hang out is the MersenneForum, as do
      some of the people who have contributed to factoring several of the RSA
      challenge numbers. False modesty inhibits me from giving their
      names ;-)

      Paul
    • Paul Leyland
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2010
        On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 14:10 +0000, Paul Leyland wrote:

        > On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 07:51 -0500, Chris Caldwell wrote:
        > >
        > > > Analysis of the last four solutions of the RSA numbers: 200, 576,
        > > 640
        > > and 768. Additional material validating my approach and an
        > > > open challenge to the group to critique and comment. Next an
        > attack
        > > on
        > > RSA-704. Methodly previosly posted, I think.

        > I seem to be missing something. Context, to be precise. Could someone
        > point me to the 'methodly previosly posted'[sic]?

        Milmore mailed me the text which he had failed to post earlier. It
        contains a decription of Fermat's factorization method and a few
        examples for small numbers.

        Fermat's method is a few centuries old and is less efficient, in
        general, than trial division.

        Paul