Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: a*x^n+b*y^n puzzle

  • mgrogue@wi.rr.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 27, 2009
      ---- djbroadhurst <d.broadhurst@...> wrote:

      > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, <mgrogue@...> wrote:
      >
      > > > a=b=x=y=1;n_max=infinity
      >
      > > Is 1 considered a prime number?
      >
      > Where I come from, 1 is an integer and
      > 1+1 is a prime, precisely as requested.
      >
      > David

      I had misread the problem. I was thinking that a, b, x, and y had to be prime as well.
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 5, 2009
        "Robdine" <robdine@...> wrote:

        > any rational prime that can be represented by the sum
        > of 2 squares (a^2+b^2) will define 4 gaussian primes

        There is only rational prime of the form a^2 + b^2 that yields
        precisely 4 distinct Gaussian primes, namely 2 = 1^2 + 1^2.

        If a^2 + b^2 is an odd rational prime, we have
        8 [sic] asociates of the Gaussian prime z = a + I*b,
        since we may mulitply it and its conjugate z = a - I*b
        by the 4 units I, -I, -1, 1, obtaining 8 distinct
        Gaussian integers that are prime.